Hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Hello All, I just wanted to drop into this forum and introduce myself. I just bought a used Hunter 170 (2002 model) this weekend. I am looking forward to getting it out on the water and testing it out. I came from owning an older hunter 23 which we sold a couple of years ago. Since I am new to this boat I am going to have a lot of questions and I hope you all can answer them. Looking forward to meeting you all, Tim Hayes

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Congratulations on the new boat

Hi Tim, Welcome, there are several good post that have been written on the 146 / 170 Let us know how your doing on the 170, she is light, fast and fun to sail. Glenn

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Thanks!

Glenn, Thanks, glad to meet you. I am excited to get the boat out. This coming Sunday may be the first time. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Tim

J

john

Hi Tim

Hi Tim, I will be interested to know how you find the 170. It seems several owners that post here have "down-sized" to the 170, or have other small boat experience, while for others like me, it's a first boat. Virtually all of my learning curve has been learning to sail, I really have no idea how the 170 compares to other boats, this is why I will be interested in your comments. How long is your sailing season in KY?? John

Sep 5, 2006
Hunter 170 Little Rock, AR
welcome

Tim, I also downsized, from a Spirit 6.5 to the 170, this summer. So far I love the boat. It's so easy to get set-up and in the water. I will caution you to take it easy at first. I'm still getting used to how tender the boat is compared to my spirit. After a while though, you will appreciate and become comfortable with it. It will definatly make you a better sailor, because of the instant feedback the boat gives. Our season in AR is still going strong, it will be 90 degrees this weekend so i'm heading out myself. Good luck and enjoy your 170.

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Thanks!

John, Glad to meet you. I will let you know about my experiences. Our sailing season runs from late April through Mid to late October. Most people really end the season at or about September 30. So, have you enjoyed your 170? Tim

J

john

yes

Yes, I have really enjoyed the 170. I have always wanted to sail, and took the plunge about 4 years ago. It has been a great boat to learn on, and this forum has been really helpful, there is a lot of experience out there. My kids have recently come to the conclusion that I should have bought a Hobie Wave, sometimes we rent the wave at the local club and my ten year old skippers it while I am in the Hunter, so I guess we get the best of both worlds. Your sailing season seems the same as ours here in Michigan. Most boats seem to come out of the water on Labor day, I usually pull mine out in late October. There are usually a couple days in November that I wish I was sailing, but I usually have other things that need my attention. I am sure that if we owned a wave my sailing season would end much earlier. take care john

E

Edwin

Kentucky too

Hey Tim, I had a Hunter 23 also that I kept down at Kentucky Lake. Got tired of the two hour drive to go sailing and purchased a '98 H170. I sail mostly on the Ohio River but have trailered it down to FL while vacationing. I think you'll find its a fun boat to sail.

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Where on the Ohio

Edwin, Good to meet you and know that there are other 170's in Kentucky. Where on the Ohio do you sail? Later, Tim

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Thanks!

Kenall, Good to hear from you and I hope you enjoy your sail this weekend. Thanks for the heads-up on the 170. I am planning to start out real slow with littl sail area and work my way up. Later, Tim

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Sailing Locations

Dale, I will be sailing on Kentucky Lake and hope to do some sailing on the Ohio River near Louisville although I have not investigated this location. Thanks, Tim

D

Dale

sailing in KY

Just wondering I live in the eastern side of ky by Lexington. There is a sailing club in Ky lake one in Barren river and one in Cave run lake. The links I think will take to any and all in KY.

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
Thanks for the info.

Dale, Thanks for the information. I knew about the club at Ky Lake and am considering joining. I did not know about the other two. I'll look them up. Thanks, Tim

D

Dale

Ky

I forgot about the one in LOisville also they sail and race on the ohio. Port Oliver Yatch Club on barren river lake has links to all I think.

D

Dale

Tim

Port Olive is having a Ragatta on Oct 22 Its 10 bucks a person thats for dinner and its alot of fun need to join us.

Sep 17, 2006
Hunter 170 New Orleans
Our 170's

Tim Looking forward to hearing about your first 170 sail.... Word on the street is it will happen this weekend. Hope the weather cooperates. I just picked mine up last Sunday. I have been doing great with it. Got out twice this week so far and hoping to get out tomorrow and maybe Sunday. The only changes I have made was the johnson levers (the other thread) and I am looking forward to seeing the results of tighter shrouds. It should point into the wind better right? No complaints about the current ability, but better is good. I am very happy with the boat so far and I am looking forward to getting comfortable in the boat to start pushing it's abilities. Let us know how your first ride goes. Kid

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
I would love to, but let me check.

Dale, Thank you for the invitation. I would like to attend, but let me check with my wife to make sure we don't have any plans for that day. I have to work some in the early morning on the 22nd, but should be done by about 10:00 AM. I'll check and get back with you on this forum shortly. Thanks again. Tim PS. I love the name of the regatta!!!

Oct 2, 2006
Hunter 170 Kentucky
First sail.

LSU, Sadly, the first sail is not going to happen this weekend. Althought it is beautiful here and would be a good weekend, we are scheduled all weekend and I won't have time. I am going to step the mast again and walk through some of the systems on the boat and dream a bit though!! I'm glad to hear things are going good for you. Where are you sailing at? The Gulf? Lake Pontchartrain(SP?) How hard were the Johnson levers to install? Later, Tim

Sep 17, 2006
Hunter 170 New Orleans
The lake

I have been sticking to Lake Pontchartrain.... I'm not sure how to spell it either, but I know where it is. I am only a mile or two from the Bonnabel boat launch. The Johnson levers were very easy to install. I took my time and as I removed one of the originals, I installed the johnson in the same way. Like I said, taking my time and working carefully, it was well under 30 minutes. Probably closer to 15. I stepped the mast this morning with them and it all went well. I installed all four into #3 and I thought I might have to tighten two of them to #4 but I was happy with the tension with all on #3. I didn't do any precise measuring or anything, I just wanted a way to get a decent tension on the shrouds and be able to step the mast easily. We may be discussing race tuning by next spring. Good luck getting out on the water. Work seems to interfere with everything doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.