Hello

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Hello all!

I am a returning sailor after a 19 year drydock:confused:. I have become the owner of a unloved snipe. I am planning on sailing her to get comfortable again and then move on to something bigger. The boat needs some tlc and knee replacement, as well as all her running rigging needs to be replaced or freshened up.

At first glance the boat seemed really complicated. After reading some advice given here to another new snipe owner, I laid out all the parts and studied them. Many things became clear, however I am going to need some advice and help along the way getting it to be a sailing trainer, not a racing competitor.

My port of call is Georgetown DE. My sailing venues will be the many bays, sheltered and not along the Delmarva Penninsula. If there are any snipe sailors on the eastern shore, I would like to connect with you. Also any former or current snipe owners on the board willing to help me along.

My previous sailing experience is in order: sailfish, sunfish, hobie 16, all wood penguin. Thanx in advance for any and all help and guidance.
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
Yes. sort of. I think officially it is listed as 15/6. I seem to be stuck in a sea of lightnings. mobjacks, hobie's. Not another snipe in sight on the eastern shore.
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Snipes are mostly raced, and the Snipe still an active class. Here is information I found regarding District 1 (including MD, NJ on up to a fair amount of New England.) http://snipeusa.com/districts-and-fleets/district-1/ I'm sure if you reach out to members of the class, they will be able to get you in touch with other Snipe owners near you.

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
Yes. sort of. I think officially it is listed as 15/6. I seem to be stuck in a sea of lightnings. mobjacks, hobie's. Not another snipe in sight on the eastern shore.
Eric
I used to have a wooden lightning. I gave it to someone, and it literally dissolved in his backyard. I still have a 12 foot ODay widgeon which I got for my wife for our 25th wedding anniversary in 1998, but didn't actually buy it until our 30th in 2003. But its never been in the water anywhere. Can't have too many boats---especially if you live on the shore. At least three of mine have been or are currently in the water.

Sep 6, 2015
Zed,
My penguin was early post war, it is and shall be my last wooden boat unless I can afford to pay crew to maintain it! When life forced it's sale, I could not find a buyer. One day a guy pulled in the yard and lamented about how much he wished he could buy it. He went on to say it was in better condition than the ones he was trying to restore in his garage. I listened intently as he said if he brought home one more penguin his wife would kick his a$$. Being the sport that I am, and a believer in karma, I gave it to him and helped him load it. One of the best days of my life.
Eric