Height of Hunter 306 With Mast Down - for shipping boat

Aug 26, 2017
Hunter 306 Leech Lake
Can anyone tell me the height of a Hunter 306 with the mast down? It is required information for shipping a boat. We are in the process of purchasing our first Hunter and will be shipping it from Lake George in New York to Leech Lake in Walker, Minnesota. Also, do we need to remove the stainless steel arch for shipping?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Having introduced the boat and sold quite a few, the draft or from the water line to the bottom depending on wing keel or fin keel, the draft is 3'10" and 5'4" respectively. Then measure from the waterline of the boat to the highest point of the boat. Add a few inches and that will be a good number. Generally, the mast is shipped laying down on the trailer or on supports on the side.

Aug 26, 2017
Hunter 306 Leech Lake
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I am unable to measure the boat due to the fact that we are in Minnesota and the boat is in New York. We are purchasing the boat pending the results of a marine survey and then will have it shipped to us, which is why I am reaching out to Hunter owners who could provide this info.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What year 306 and I had a 290/306 2001 and was a nice sailboat for sure.
Nick

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
This doesn't answer your question but my son has a 2002, H306. His wife and two boys, 2 and 4, just love it. Great boat. Have fun.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
Can anyone tell me the height of a Hunter 306 with the mast down? It is required information for shipping a boat. We are in the process of purchasing our first Hunter and will be shipping it from Lake George in New York to Leech Lake in Walker, Minnesota. Also, do we need to remove the stainless steel arch for shipping?
I do not know the height, but make sure that all of the stays are individually wrapped in carpet or other materials. If not you will get cable marks on your mast. I thought I did it right by hiring a rigger...........but no.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Whenever I need to make any measurements on my boat, I go to Sailboatdata.com. They usually do not have the data I need but enough data to move the line drawing image into Visio. Then I can scale the boat accordingly and get a pretty good picture of what I need.

Based on this, I measured the height of the boat from the keel to a few inches about the coachroof as 12' 4". I would give about a foot just in case. So, say 13'.

Again, not an exact measurement, but based on the 5.33' keel to waterline data.

upload_2017-8-28_5-31-16.jpeg

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Dave, right now I am NC and my son is in Washington but I will ask him to measure from the waterline to the top of the coachroof if Brian's estimate is not deemed sufficient.

Feb 17, 2006
There was no specification of keel, just draft of 5.33'. The image looks like a wing keel.

Feb 17, 2006
Measure twice, cut once.

This time I measure from the LWL of 29.92' and have a value of keel to top of bow pulpit of 11' 5.25". So I am pretty sure that given fudge room, 13' should be about the correct figure for overall height. I used the bow pulpit because it rises higher than the coach roof. But your mileage may vary.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The reason I question is due to the fact I transported all my 306 models on my trailer with the mast tied on top of the boat. I think sailboat data is giving the wrong information as it is lower than that. @Brian D is measuring a boat for me which is a 306 and will wait till I hear from him on what he finds out. Not trying to argue but experience is telling me otherwise. Hopefully you will understand

Aug 26, 2017
Hunter 306 Leech Lake
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide the VERY HELPFUL INFO. Love having Crazy Dave & Brian D on my team! I am new to all this having owned only smaller, trailer-able boats in the past that we could transport by ourselves.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Companies like U ship and others, stay away as they do not have the experience safely transporting a boat like yours. Insist on seeing their insurance policy or card.