Heeling at dock

DTR

Jun 21, 2018
Hunter 28 Colonial Beach
1989 Hunter 28, new to me. Last weekend I replaced one of the life line poles, (Starboard side just in front of the cockpit). The 2 screw holes did not line up so I only secured it with 1 screw. I did not cover the other screw hole.

Today, when I went to the boat, it had a 2 to 3 inch starboard heel at the dock. No water in the bilge and we did not add any weight to the boat. We had 1 rain storm during this time. Could enough water have entered the screw hole, into the hull core, to cause this heel?

If so, how can I drain it out?
Thanks for any info...

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's not like there is a huge void space as the screw presumably has something under the deck hole to which it can bite. In other words, you may have a problem in that water had an easy place to saturate the balsa core but a void space large enough to fill with water doesnt exist there and certainly not enough to cause a list.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Well first, Fill the empty "Stanchion" hole with thickened epoxy after it has dried out. This will give you a fresh start to drill the appropriately located hole.
Second, As Don said, that sized hole won't be the cause of the list after one rain storm.

But have you checked your bilge pump for proper operation? If you've got a list, the reasons are pretty limited. Cargo/stores/equipment shifted? Hit something solid with the keel, sideways? New gear installed? Water ballast out of wack? Stowaway trying to get free lessons?
If you're sure there was no list when you first got the boat look for a reason... maybe two. If you're not sure, check everything. $hIt can happen.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
How deep is the water at your slip and how much is the tide swing there? Is it possible you were setting on the bottom when you got back to the boat? I know there is a boat at one of our local marinas that heels over when its low tide. Just thinking of possibility.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
better fasten down that stanchion properly before some poor unsuspecting soul falls overboard when leaning on the lifeline.