heat gun/torch for heat shrink terminals?

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Here in Texas that 'weed burner' is called a 'pear burner'. To burn spines off the prickly pear so the cows can eat them. Works great for starting brush piles also....

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I prefer a paint stripper gun. While I've used a cig lighter in a pinch, it is difficult to make the heat evenly dispersed around the whole circumference of the tube. A paint stripper gun will envelope the almost the whole tube making it easier to seal off the ends. Often with a flame, you get it too hot, and it tends to shrink length ways and outward, making it difficult to close the ends.
Also look for heatshrink that contains a layer of hot melt glue on the inside. This will do a much better job of strain relief, and will completely seal the repair to prevent moister intrusion.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Here in Texas that 'weed burner' is called a 'pear burner'. To burn spines off the prickly pear so the cows can eat them. Works great for starting brush piles also....
That's where I got mine. Originally it was used on a roofing job. I can't remember whose roof now., flat roof with rolled asphalt material a carport or shed maybe. But it does an awesome job along a chain link fence.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That's where I got mine. Originally it was used on a roofing job. I can't remember whose roof now., flat roof with rolled asphalt material a carport or shed maybe. But it does an awesome job along a chain link fence.
Also used on shrink-wrapping for boats over the winter.

jcb2

Jun 5, 2012
Oday 31 Bayville, NJ
I had assumed that a tiny butane torch would be the best tool, but the one I happened to purchase (Bernzomatic 3-in-1) seems a little slow getting the job done. Takes a couple minutes to get up to temp, and throws more heat out the little side vents than out thru the tip.

Googling the question has revealed that a lot of people use ordinary hairdryer-style heat guns. Without having tried this yet (I do own one) it seems dramatically oversized for the job. Plus, it involves dragging an extension cord around, tripping, tangling, and quite possibly strangling myself.

What do the wise old salts/professionals use??
Gene,
I have the same 3 in 1 Bernzamatic. The pointed tip is only for soldering. With the tip unscrewed from the end, the heat will come out of the end instead of the sides, I’ve used it often for heat-shrinking and the only problem is that a breeze will occasionally blow out the flame.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Heat gun only! If I catch my guys using flame, they had better damn well have a good reasosn for doing so. Even if you are very practiced with flame you are bound to get bubbles or uneven adhesive melt and this can lead to a ruined terminal or corrosion in the future. A heat gun is the correct tool for the job. We do many thousands of heat shrink terminations each year and 99.9% are using a heat gun...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I prefer a heat gun, but onboard I use a small special-purpose butane shrink tool. If the work is portable, I often use a burner on my propane stove. I use the propane stove for heat sealing the ends of line as well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks like you have a deer playing with your stork... Oh the humanity...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
It is just folklore.
Nonsense! I've actually seen them bringing home the prize, well sort of. Mom pointed it out to me through the kitchen window one morning when I was maybe six. I looked real hard where she was pointing, just over the Willapa River, but dang if I could spot the darn thing, but she sure could see it flying along with its package. She would never lie to me, would she?

Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, et al. I'm a believer, except maybe the Tooth Fairy. Never seen her/him/it, but my tooth was gone from beneath my pillow the next morning and a shiny nickel was left in its place. The others I've actually seen, so real for certain.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I bought an electric 300w by Zeopocase one off Amazon for $11.34. Have used it for heatshrinking several times. Have been through two butane cigarette lighter touches and they both had issues. Used butane grill torch before that with limited success. This little,cheap one works better than any and is easy to store. It’s about 6 inches long and about 1-1/2 inch diameter. Plug it in and it’s ready to go.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I finally got a chance to use the heat gun on a few connectors yesterday. NOW I see why it is the weapon of choice.

I'm glad I asked. I had been under the assumption it was too large a tool for the task. Thanks to everyone! :thumbup:

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I’ve had a Zircon one since, oh, 81 or thereabouts. They get minimized, but at the end of the day are simply the best tool for the job.