heat gun/torch for heat shrink terminals?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I had assumed that a tiny butane torch would be the best tool, but the one I happened to purchase (Bernzomatic 3-in-1) seems a little slow getting the job done. Takes a couple minutes to get up to temp, and throws more heat out the little side vents than out thru the tip.

Googling the question has revealed that a lot of people use ordinary hairdryer-style heat guns. Without having tried this yet (I do own one) it seems dramatically oversized for the job. Plus, it involves dragging an extension cord around, tripping, tangling, and quite possibly strangling myself.

What do the wise old salts/professionals use??

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What do the wise old salts/professionals use??
I am neither.
I now prefer a properly adjusted Heat Gun.
I have use many sources of heat.

My Professional Electrician son-in-law prefers a butane hand lighter with a small flame.
His issue was working in close quarters.

The heat gun is tougher to get in position and somewhat fixed, but the ability to get all sides of the shrink evenly is what I feel more confident with.

Jim...

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Have used heat guns, butane torches and steam. What ever is there at the time.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Grill lighter and a practiced hand.
If I’m plugged in to shore power, I use my Ace Hardware heat gun. If not, a flame striker as Gunni says. However, I have more jobs for the heat gun than just shrinking heat-shrink. I wouldn’t buy one for that single purpose. Although, they are not expensive.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I use both the little refillable butane torch and a heat gun I prefer the heat gun when it is not a hassle to drag out the extension cord. My butane torch is an Ancor one but I have seen what looks to be the same one sold without the name for ALOT less. I got lucky and bought one when Boaters World was going out of business for 75% off.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I use both the little refillable butane torch and a heat gun I prefer the heat gun when it is not a hassle to drag out the extension cord. My butane torch is an Ancor one but I have seen what looks to be the same one sold without the name for ALOT less. I got lucky and bought one when Boaters World was going out of business for 75% off.
Funny, I just got back from a random trip to Gander Mountain/Camping World/whatever it is now ... I saw and purchased the Ancor mini torch. Yes, I paid too much. Hopefully it's better than the Bernzomatic.

I'll also experiment with the electric heat gun and a grill lighter. Not simultaneously.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I'll also experiment with the electric heat gun and a grill lighter. Not simultaneously.
Go for it

I've got a torch that attaches to a 20# propane tank that I use for burning the weeds in the cracks of the concrete or along the fence. Works great on an icy stoop as well. It lets out a roar like a jet engine and a LOT of heat I'm sure that would shrink the connectors and everything else around them as well. Neighbors love it occasionally one will come over to get the "Flamethrower" to melt something or clear out some vegetation.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Bic lighter for shrink tube up to 3/8".
Full size burns-o-matic propane torch for the big stuff, like on battery cables.

Heat guns work. Some blow dryers do to.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I had assumed that a ........sized for the job.,....lts/professionals use??
This old salt uses spit, twist and tape...;)..just kidding.
I use hair dryer and hot air gun. Don't like flame 'cos it can burn things if not careful.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I used to use a lighter but now I use a heat gun. I find I get much more consistent results. If there is enough slack, I prop up the heat gun on its stand and move the wire around over it. Much easier than waving a flame around.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: Milwaukee Heat Gun. 2 settings use the higher power.

Also works well to seal the ends of polyester line.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
When I worked for a boat manufacturer we always used heat guns on heat shrink. I have used a lighter or other flame for heat shrink, but with a heat gun the shrink is clear and not black from the soot when I'm done, so I use it whenever possible.