Healiner removal

Nov 17, 2011
Hunter 306 Chester Basin, Nova Scotia
I have found a couple of threads on removing the headliner in a Hunter. I've tried a couple of different methods, but none successful. I'm more a paint by number kind of guy. Does anyone have photos and procedure for dropping the headline?

Pictures please

Nov 17, 2011
I have found a couple of threads on removing the headliner in a Hunter. I've tried a couple of different methods, but none successful. I'm more a paint by number kind of guy. Does anyone have photos and procedure for dropping the headline?

Pictures please
Headliner I meant

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I believe instructions was given in the discussion here or Sailnet.com forum. Painful as I tried. Damage small portion and gave up. Hopefully someone will make a Youtube video to help poor souls like us.
:(

Apr 1, 2013
Beneteau 40.1 87 National Yacht Club
Hi Hannah - we just removed all the liner in our H34 - pretty easy removal - just remove the shelves - cut the liner with a knife and rip....it comes off pretty easy (wear a good mask)...the glue behind it was not as easy. We sanded down the sides with a power sander and then painted the inside with an epoxy paint (rather than installing new liner). It has a little texture to it due to the fiber-glass strips but looks just fine with the shelves in front of it. I'll try and take a couple pictures this week and send them.

If you have any questions during your removal - please email us as me[at]paulnazar.com

Cheers
Paul

Nov 17, 2011
Our boat is a 2005, I certainly don't want to cut it. There is a type of "C" track made of plastic it's held into place with. There must be a simple way to get it out without wrecking it. Hoping someone had some photos or video of an easy removal technique.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Our boat is a 2005, I certainly don't want to cut it. There is a type of "C" track made of plastic it's held into place with. There must be a simple way to get it out without wrecking it. Hoping someone had some photos or video of an easy removal technique.
I don't have any pictures or video but the process is relatively simple. I will try to explain it.

Take a flat scraper that is about 2 1/2" wide and as thin as possible and dull the edges with a stone. This is to protect the material. Start near a corner and insert the scraper in where the material is, between the plastic track. Gently pry on the scraper to offload the pressure of the clamping force on the plastic track. By pushing up on the material it will loosen off a bit. Loosen the material for about 10" and go back to the corner. Use the scraper to pry again near the corner and work the material out of the track. Once you have some material out it is easy to pull out of the track as long as you keep moving the scraper along to relieve the pressure.

It will not take a lot of pressure on the scraper to release the tension so be careful not to pry too far.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Apr 25, 2012
Hunter 41AC Sassafras River, MD
I need to rebed a lifeline stanchion and my H41 has a soft center headliner wiht a hard plastic side panels outboard. I appears I need to remove the soft center headliner to reach the fasteners for the hard liner that extends all the way outboard.
Would love to hear feedback on the dull putty knife method sugessed in the forum thread before I begin to hack mine up!.
Thanks for any help!

Quote:
Take a flat scraper that is about 2 1/2" wide and as thin as possible and dull the edges with a stone. This is to protect the material. Start near a corner and insert the scraper in where the material is, between the plastic track. Gently pry on the scraper to offload the pressure of the clamping force on the plastic track. By pushing up on the material it will loosen off a bit. Loosen the material for about 10" and go back to the corner. Use the scraper to pry again near the corner and work the material out of the track. Once you have some material out it is easy to pull out of the track as long as you keep moving the scraper along to relieve the pressure.

It will not take a lot of pressure on the scraper to release the tension so be careful not to pry too far.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Capt,

The putty knife will be used to pry the plastic track apart slightly. With the pressure off loaded you can get the material to slide out of the track by pressing on the material with your hand. Just do a little at a time and keep moving along the track. The material is just pressed into the plastic track with the putty knife to re-install it.

Oct 29, 2005
I still don't get it. My Whisper Soft headliner don't seems to look same. I'll try get some photos for comparison. :cry:

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Jake's got it right! I have a similar tool that's used for furniture upholstery - looks like a scraper/putty knife that has rounded corners and a dull tip. It's stiffer than a putty knife but the putty knife will work well - just be patient and make sure you rounded and smoothed the end

Oct 29, 2005
Hannah, if you can please take close-up picture of the liner in track. I'm not sure exactly where the track line is as it looks like piping has been sewn to the liner. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2011
My apologizes I was at the boat on the weekend and removed the center line as well and reinstalled. I forgot my camera... It's hard to tell from your photo but it does look similar. It's hard to explain, it took me two years to figure it out, but once I did it's pretty simple to do. I reinstalled with a music CD pushing the material in the track and rolling the cd back and forth. I push the scrapper into the slot where the flat liner meets the first crease (hope that makes sense). I pry a small portion out with the edge of the scraper and pull out with my fingers. My boat is a 2005 and the headliner is in excellent condition and could easily handle me pulling on it. Your picture looks like the material is a little cracked, so be careful pulling it out. I found it best to start in a corner, easier to pry a piece of material out. Hope this helps some.

I found most of the fasteners for the deck hardware needed tightening once I got the liner down.

Oct 29, 2005
Hannah, thanks. I'll try build up some courage to give it another go.