Headsail sheeting

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Looking for suggestions on how to improve my headsail sheeting. From day one I've found my sheeting arrangement to be less than user friendly. I have the typical setup; lead blocks on the tracks, Arco 5 winches and cam cleats. The PO must have had a first mate who managed the headsail as the cam cleats were mounted just ahead of the winches and angled forward. I found them to be awkward to use from the helm so I relocated them just behind the winches angled aft. This helped but they are still difficult to use.

The winches have been serviced and function properly so they are not the issue, but the lead-in and exit angles are hard and cause a lot of friction. Also, when I try to lock the sheet into the cam cleat, the combination of these angels and the mounting of the winches (tilted outboard) cause the top turn of sheet on the winch drum to bear down hard on the bottom turn which makes it really hard to pull through the cam cleat. I find that it takes both hands to get the sheet into the cleat which leaves no hands on the tiller. You may recall that this happened to me last season while hauling in on the sheet. I attribute it at least in part to how much friction is being applied to the system.
IMG_1224[1].JPG

So I'm thinking perhaps a foot or cheek block mounted on top of the upper coaming just ahead of the front leg of the stern rail to improve the lead-in angle. Then a riser block under the cam cleat so I'm not locking the sheet on top of itself while pulling downward into the cleat. Maybe even a wedge shaped base under the winch to make it plumb. Before I do anything I wanted to see what you all thought about these proposals and what other things have you done to improve the sheeting.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Man, your setup is SO much better than a new design, I'd kill for what you have! I don't remember my '79 being anything but awesome in this area. How many turns around the winch are you using? How far aft are you sitting, you want to be as far forward as possible. What about putting a riser under the cam cleat?

I just woke up so my brain is only at half speed right now, but there is a simple answer here somewhere. I don't think you want a wedge under that winch.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I agree with Gene here about not wanting to shim the winch but it appears as though your cleat is already raised off the deck a bit. I did notice however that your jib car is way back on your track in the picture? Mine even with the genny (150%) is never much past the drain hole that runs under the track. Perhaps your car is misadjusted and causing too much strain? I went out last week in 15 kts single handed and only used 2 wraps on the winch a few times with a 110 up. I was always taught on smaller boats never more than 3 wraps because you can get an overwrap. If the clam cleats are giving you difficulties why not install those rubber self tailing winch setups on the boat (think their called winchers). I have used them on larger sailboats and while their not self tailing in the true since they work well and you won't have any more holes in the deck.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
I only use one turn on the winches. My jib cars are not usually that far back. The 150 seems to like the car just behind the stanchion most of the time. The day this happened the wind started out light but piped up after I had been out for a while. I pulled the cars all the way aft to de-power the genoa until I could get to a more sheltered spot to change to the 110. I do think the angle could have contributed to the extra strain. As far as seating position, I like to sit right at the front of the tiller. You can see in the pic where the cleat used to be. I'd have to sit all the way at the front of the cockpit to have a straight pull through the cleat. I don't like to sit that far forward so I moved them to a position that was less awkward.

I think I'll start with the riser under the cleats to see if that helps. My sheets are kinda old so they are soft and fuzzy. I wonder if that is contributing the the extra friction when I make the downward pull into the cleats.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Here is how mine is rigged with the 150 genoa and actually using my floating winch handle for a change. Works fine and I am sitting with the end of the tiller in my lap usually.
IMG_20151007_144140.jpg

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Yes that is exactly the way mine were oriented when I got it. But like I said, I found it awkward to pull forward and down, especially when sitting on the windward side heeling pretty good. I want a straight pull toward myself to release the sheet and the same when hauling in.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The position and angle of the cam cleat, relative to where you are sitting, is important. Wherever you typically sit, I would ideally want to be pulling that sheet straight at me. It's worth moving the cleat if you ask me.

And/or maybe just a little more practice at the "yank" motion when cleating the sheet?

And then, there are people who choose to remove the winch altogether, and just use a turning block and a cleat.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
I had some of the same kind of problems earlier on my '86. I noticed there were two sets of holes for the cam cleat, so I re mounted the cleats in the different holes to see which worked best and I finally decided to raise the cleats a bit off the deck with 1/2" mahogany risers that I built. Problem solved.