Headlights on boats - new trend?

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
This evening we were sitting on the breakwater dock at Rosario (Orcas Island, WA). When a huge bright lite appeared coming around the point about 3 miles away. By the time it got to us it was blinding. Some dufus in a sport fishing boat had a light bar across the top of his pilot house. It would destroy anyone's night vision within a mile. Seems to me this may not be legal. I found some non-official references that say the only lights that should be visible to other boats are the red, green and white running lights.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I still pause when I see headlights on a boat. That is what I saw coming out of the fog. They were on the fishing boat that hit me. Running with them at night is just foolish.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
This evening we were sitting on the breakwater dock at Rosario (Orcas Island, WA). When a huge bright lite appeared coming around the point about 3 miles away. By the time it got to us it was blinding. Some dufus in a sport fishing boat had a light bar across the top of his pilot house. It would destroy anyone's night vision within a mile. Seems to me this may not be legal. I found some non-official references that say the only lights that should be visible to other boats are the red, green and white running lights.
We had that same experience going off shore in Beaufort. A sport fisher came up from behind and there was so much light in our cockpit, 4 am, that we were blinded and then nearly swamped from the 6 foot wake he threw.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've never seen a boat decked out like that, but must of the commercial fishing boats had spot lights mounted thru their pilot house ceilings. They would occasionally run with those trained ahead like a head light. I've never seen anyone use one for anything but to search for something specific though, like a marker or something that went overboard. My experience on the water has been very limited in recent decades.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
That sounds awful. I hope it doesn’t become a trend.
I installed low power LED docking lights on my bow a few years ago, and it’s really good to see 10-20 yards ahead when picking up the mooring on a moonless night. They’re not powerful enough to see far with them. No reflected deck glare either, because they are mounted below deck level. I only turn them on as I enter the mooring field.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Folks drive their pontoon boats all over Wateree Lake with those headlights all the time. I’m not sure even DNR knows how bad an idea that is.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Too late it's already a trend. Genius charter boats at the harbor I sail out of are using them. Then throw in the horn that plays La Cucaracha and various other sound signals for even more fun when there are 30 boats navigating the narrow channel. Always great fun dealing with toy boat captains thinking they are piloting a damn ULCC or hauling in a mile of trawls.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Too late it's already a trend. Genius charter boats at the harbor I sail out of are using them. Then throw in the horn that plays La Cucaracha and various other sound signals for even more fun when there are 30 boats navigating the narrow channel. Always great fun dealing with toy boat captains thinking they are piloting a damn ULCC or hauling in a mile of trawls.
Yesterday I was talking to a friend who teaches Captain License courses, he remarked that some of his worst students were Lake Ontario charter captain wannabes. They just wanted to sit in the course, pay the money, and get their license, learn something about boating and piloting? Not particularly. :evil::mad::(

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Around here the powerboat junkies have mounted giant downward and stern-ward LED floodlights on the back of the hard top or t top or fly bridge. Following one of these guys with his blue tinted fully light wake is a eye opening then closing event. No night vision left and you are surrounded by a huge blue sound-stage like lighting event.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Always great fun dealing with toy boat captains thinking they are piloting a damn ULCC or hauling in a mile of trawls.
We have an old family friend who use to own a marine construction company (built docks). He bought a tugboat built by Clark Mills, about 40' long. Beautiful classic tugboat lines, named her Clark Mills. He decided he wanted one of those big, fog horns that sound long and deep like you hear in the background of ship movies. When he called about buying one, the Chandler informed him that he couldn't buy one for his boat because there are regulations around different horn sounds and ship size and use. He didn't qualify.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
He decided he wanted one of those big, fog horns that sound long and deep like you hear in the background of ship movies. When he called about buying one, the Chandler informed him that he couldn't buy one for his boat because there are regulations around different horn sounds and ship size and use. He didn't qualify.
That’s what she said. ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
hey just wanted to sit in the course, pay the money, and get their license, learn something about boating and piloting? Not particularly. :evil::mad::(
Certificate. These yahoos aren’t licenced to a damn thing. ;-/

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
LED lights and light bars have become status symbols on the latest breed of Lobster boats here on the coast of Maine. The wattage just keeps going up. This build from one of our local builders has LED's installed in the bow! Much like head lights on a vehicle, not sure if this is a trend or just something to set him apart from the rest of the fleet. This boat, named Maxed Out has 750 HP John Deere diesel. It's 44 feet long which is the new normal for these young guys that are having new boats built....the local banks love them...:)
Here is an over the top video,
MAXED OUT.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
LED lights and light bars have become status symbols on the latest breed of Lobster boats here on the coast of Maine. The wattage just keeps going up. This build from one of our local builders has LED's installed in the bow! Much like head lights on a vehicle, not sure if this is a trend or just something to set him apart from the rest of the fleet. This boat, named Maxed Out has 750 HP John Deere diesel. It's 44 feet long which is the new normal for these young guys that are having new boats built....the local banks love them...:)
Wow. I'll give real watermen a pass on the lights. If it helps them do their jobs better, that's fine by me.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
View attachment 150251
Nat, 'over the top' doesn't even begin to describe that vid. :) This is the down side, to the new low wattage LED lights. We're more traditional down this way:

LABOAT.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Are lobstermen starting to go out and pull traps in the dark? The time I spent on the coast of Maine, it was all quiet after dark. I don't know how far these guys cruise to get to their traps, but I never thought they had more than an hour to travel, which means, half an hour after sunrise and you can be pulling your traps without ever really being in the dark.

I agree, working boatmen should get to equip however they need to get the job done, but need and status are not the same thing.

For me, let freedom reign until it takes someone else's freedom away. I'll put up with the lights, if it makes the guy happy and feel free, but I don't have to like it. I wouldn't want to regulate something just because it's inconvenient or offensive. When it becomes a real hazard to safety, then something should be done. These lights could get to that point.

- Will (Dragonfly)

nat55

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 1979 Gulfstar 37 BELFAST
Will these guys fish all year long, so when the days are short lights are important......and necessary. These boats are heading offshore, a long way 25 miles plus. Even in the summer they are leaving long before you and I are drinking our first cups of coffee.......

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
This is the new trend here. LEDs both inside, and under the boat. They can be quite distracting, and ruin your night vision.
LED Idiots.jpg LED Idiots 2.jpg LED Idiots 3.jpg LED Idiots 4.jpg LED Idiots 5.jpg

I have yet to see headlights.