Heading to florida

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Hope you're able to get a little further west today or hunker down in Port Saint Joe. Irma seems to be following you west as they keep adjusting the projected path to the west. I'm not sure what protected anchorages there are in Port Saint Joe or the slips available. If you decide to or have to stay there I'd not stay on the boat. Secure the boat well and talk to the old salts there to get advice on how to anchor or tie up in a slip for heavy winds.

If you've decided to get underway I hope you've already left! Be safe, be careful and your boat is not worth your life! Keep us posted.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We have decided to stay in port said joe, the marina is pretty protected by cape San blasé and a large sea wall. We were going to try and make it to Panama City but there is nothing up there available. We at least have a slip here...not sure we will have any choice but to stay on the boat....heck, we can't even find extra jerry cans. At this moment the uncertainty of not knowing what to expect is weighing a bit heavy on me...we will remove all the canvas and bungee down all that we can....pray that will be enough. Thank you all for your help and encouragement.

Marilyn

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
With the current forecast, you can expect winds of 60 knots on Monday. The wind will be from the north at the start, then shift to the west as the storm passes. You should be OK with storm surge as the wind will push water out, not in. Best of luck.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Good luck, stay safe, Lots of dock lines and fenders, also what Smokey said about making new friends with the old salts is great advice.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Port St Joe is pretty good there are a few better places for the boat nearby but with the Piggly Wiggly right there and the other restaurants around it would be the place to stay.

You'll kick yourself if you don't stop at JoMammas for pizza. Sunset Grill has had a goo reputation but the last couple of times we were there we were disappointed.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I'd highly recommend against staying on the boat if at all possible. Go to a shelter if there is one available.

Don't rely on "bungees" alone, tie down with stout line (not small stuff). Better yet put it below and secure it. If your are tied up so that the lines cross at your bow or you are on a mooring and you have an anchor, remove it. It can be like a knife and cut the lines in a heartbeat.

The problem with a slip or even a mooring is that you are also subject to how well others have prepared. Are there any boats there that are leaving their canvas up? Has everyone doubled up their lines? All it takes is one boat to not prepare and start a domino effect, especially if the winds keep it up for many hours. Make sure you have chaff protection wherever there is a possibility of rubbing (including line on line where "sawing" can occur) but don't completely "seal off" the lines with something like tight water hose or flexible pvc. Lines can get hot from stress on them and from pumping and the water helps cool them off. If you cut off all the water there is no cooling.

I'm not saying don't stay in Port Saint Joe, just that its not worth your life to stay on the boat. You are subject to the preparation of not only your own boat but to the preparation of those around you. In my experience there are always a few absentee owners and sadly, a few that are happy to collect the insurance check for their totaled boat.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hey all,
We are safe. We did stay on our boat. We did much prep which will probably take a full day to undo. We had over 15 lines holding us. It looked like our 310 had been caught in a spider web! We took all the canvas down. Boats around us were well prepared. Many left. It was a long, rough night but no damage!!! She's a tough little boat. Our bilge float stopped working and we think the stuffing box needs looking at. We do take on some water so must do a manual bilge. Our "garage" looks like we are hoarders. Can't wait to get organized again.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Good work getting prepped, it paid off in the long run!
Now keep us informed about the rest of your trip!

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Glad to hear everything worked out for you. It really helps when your prepared and those around you are too! When you resume your trip keep us posted on the progress. Fair winds and following seas on the rest of your journey. Have fun and smell the roses (or salt air in this case) along the way.

Aug 20, 2017
Catalina 310 301 Ft Walton Yacht Club
Glad you made it through Irma. If you come west on the inside and would like to stay a night or two in Ft. Walton, PM me. I can sponsor you as a guest at the Ft Walton Yacht Club. Love to hear more about your adventure.
-- Allen

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hey guys....just when you get comfortable... this morning we left St. Andrews heading to destin...being brace, we decided to go outside. About 10 miles into the trip, the temp alarm went off. We immediately shut it off and raised our sails in 2 mph wind. We are still sailing though wind has picked up a bit....we have had a shark going along our side....hope that's not an omen!

We are not as mechanical as we should be...we do know the coolant seems to be leaking. Does anyone out there have an engine manual you could download and send? I really am trying to love my new boat, but it's tough! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For now we will continue to sail with sharks and jelly fish.
Marilyn

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Another question...is there a marina in the fort Walton or destin area that we could be towed to and have work done on the engine? We are 22 miles away from destins gate.

Aug 20, 2017
Shalimar Yacht Basin (now known as Two George's Marina) Its just across from the FWYC
- Allen

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks Allen,
We are headed to blue water marina...we have contacted tow boat to help us get there.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Hey guys....just when you get comfortable... this morning we left St. Andrews heading to destin...being brace, we decided to go outside. About 10 miles into the trip, the temp alarm went off. We immediately shut it off and raised our sails in 2 mph wind. We are still sailing though wind has picked up a bit....we have had a shark going along our side....hope that's not an omen!

We are not as mechanical as we should be...we do know the coolant seems to be leaking. Does anyone out there have an engine manual you could download and send? I really am trying to love my new boat, but it's tough! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For now we will continue to sail with sharks and jelly fish.
Marilyn
Marilyn, most of the manuals can be downloaded from Jesse's blog here (thanks Jesse!!):
https://svsmitty.wordpress.com/the-boat/
Best of luck. Don't get discouraged. All used boats have issues.

Aug 20, 2017
Good luck. Let us know if you need any help while in the Ft. Walton/Destin/Niceville area.