Heading to florida

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
This is another reason why this forum is a godsend, there are so many owners out there who have valid credible information to help. Thanks to all.
Mirwin have a safe passage and keep us updated!
KZW those 310's in Choctawatchee bay should be encouraged to join if not already members-they also get the discounted BOATUS membership!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good luck Mirwin, my family has a cabin in Dunlap and I have some land up on the ridge line too. Our boat is in Lake Guntersville which is some pretty nice sailing a couple of days from Chattanooga. I grew up in FL and lived through a bunch of hurricanes, stay safe.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We made it to carrabelle just now. Engine died again and we had very rough seas, 5 ft waves...it was not pleasant and that was my first time on big water. I will show your recommendations to my husband. I really appreciate your help.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Hey, my fresh water for galley stopped pumping water....the pump runs but when I turn on the faucet, it just sputters....this also happened on the crossing! As capt ron says, "if it's going to happen, it'll happen out there"

Any thoughts?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Wow, sounds exciting, my pump sputters when the water tank is too full, I think there is too much head pressure for the pump to handle it. Also could be junk in the line or facet screen. Get a couple of these at Walmart or even Home Depot for backup.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Tainer-7-Gallon/872426

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
My husband did say he over filled the tank....how do you get rid of excess water in tank?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The motoring dieingagain most likely with the rough water is stirring of gunk in tank so check the filters again and may have air in fresh water system open all faucets to get rid of the air until steady stream or check filter screen for gunk.
Nick

Oct 3, 2011
When I fill our tank, if it overfills-I can hear when it gets close and also see the water level in the water tank, it drains to the bilge and also out into the anchor locker. we have changed our end of facet aerators as they were clogged. even just take them off to stop the sputter, or could you be out of water?.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Not a chance that we t out of water according to my husband....though I do think it's worth investigating....

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
When I fill our tank, if it overfills-I can hear when it gets close and also see the water level in the water tank, it drains to the bilge and also out into the anchor locker. we have changed our end of facet aerators as they were clogged. even just take them off to stop the sputter, or could you be out of water?.
Like Alan said, the "official" drain for the tank is to the anchor locker. However, the large port on the top of the tank tends to leak when the tank is full. You can see water coming out under the forward berth (remove the hatch board that covers the depth and speed sensors) and drain to the bilge. Don't ask me how I learned that! I now have a small water meter that I attach to the end of the hose when filling. If the tank starts out empty I know when to stop, and I do't have to sit there and listen carefully.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you were out of water, you need to find out why. If you used it all, that is one thing (think carefully about your specific consumption rates for the 2 day trip). I would be much more concerned about a leak. Of course, I have no idea how big your tank is.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Well...we left carrabelle heading towards appalachacola. The waters are rough! We are keeping a close eye on Irma. The good news, we cleaned our fuel take which was nasty, put a larger filter on, and filled the water tank...pump works! We still have that annoying chirping in the gauges on the pedestal...no warning lights, plenty of oil...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Chirping could be temp warning so check make sure you have good water flow coming out exhaust.
Nick

Oct 3, 2011
Grungy connections?
Thats a nautical term....:biggrin:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Forecast in Fort Walton, Niceville, Destin on Choctawhatchee Bay:
- Sat Clear. Wind NE @ 9 in morning building to 15 near sunset
- Sun Clear. Wind NE @ 15 in morning, building to 20 near sunset
- Mon. 40% chance of thunderstorms in morning, clearing in afternoon. Wind N @ 20 in morning building to 26. Guts higher. Eglin AFB is warning of potential for winds N @ 30 to 40.

It will be a broad reach from Apalachicola all the way here. If you depart at first light Saturday, you can be here by sunset Sunday. Suggest you don't want to stay in Apalachicola. They will most certainly see winds of tropical storm strength on Monday. Winds will be higher if the storm track continues to veer west.

I'm stripping the sails, bimini, and dodger off tomorrow and doubling up the lines.

Contact info sent via PM. Feel free to call me when you are in the vicinity.