Head Y (diverter) valve

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
Looking to find which size of this my boat has:

So I had this discussion with Catalina customer service:
Me: I want to know what size diverter y valve was installed fore of the holding tank. I can't look for myself for two weeks, but it seems the hoses are around 2" and the valves I find for sale have maximum barb o.d. of 1.5" (Forespar MF series).

Gerry Douglas 1:00 PM
We did not install Y valves at the factory.
The waste hose between the head and the holding tank is 1-1/2” I.D.

Me: Does this mean you didn't install the waste thru-hull and seacock either? It originally was holding tank only?

Gerry Douglas 1:08 PM
We installed the tank, not the valve. GD
So I know what size valve I need now, but this made me curious, do most Catalinas not have waste thru hulls? Since he didn't really answer the question, I don't know if they never had them, or if Catalina had someone else install them.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Because so many boats from all mfrs are delivered to inland lakes which are all NDZ, installing y-valves, discharge pumps and thru-hulls on all boats would be an unnecessary expense on many of 'em. So they avoid the expense altogether and leave it up to dealers in regions where they can legally be used to install 'em as a requested "add on." When boats that don't have 'em are re-sold or moved into coastal water the provide immediate access to open sea beyond the "3 mile limit"--the only waters where it's legal to dump a tank, the owners either do it themselves or have a yard do it. Some owners install 'em whether they're in waters where it's legal to use 'em or not.

Btw, both the toilet discharge hose and the tank discharge hose are 1.5" Hose sizes are always stated as their INNER diameter for two reasons: 1. hose FITTINGS are always stated by their OUTER diameter and the hose has to fit ONTO the fttting...and 2: due to wide differences in wall thicknesses, the outer diameters of the same size hoses can vary quite a bit.

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
Ahh, that explains it. No wonder I couldn't find one at Catalina Direct. Luckily, I found a rebuild kit for $30.