Head Plumbing Installed Ugly By Boatyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
...................so you and your guests fill your holding tank while your offshore a few miles for a nice long day trip and you decide to have it pumped out when you get back to the marina. The marina hardly collects it or hold it in a septic tank so on it goes to the closest lift station to mingle with the rest of the raw water influent flowing to the waste water treatment plant. But the municipal plant or POTW is now hydraulically or organically overloaded and the treatment somewhat bypassed before its discharged into the receiving stream. You know that river down the street or the one that runs through your city. The plant again violates its NPDES effluent discharge standards, especially for fecal coliform and gets a warning or maybe a small fine. It is still profitable to pollute. In the meantime our rivers are contaminated and plants over burdened with not enough capacity. Maybe the Admiral was just making comparisons........but remember it was in the mid-80's and MSD regs were much more relaxed. Greater assimilation in the sea but laws must be obeyed.

As for the "nonpoint source" discharges of other pollutants (pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, etc, etc, etc running away with the stormwater runoff?

Well, tha'ts another story........................:eek:

Bob

Apr 30, 2006
- - Benicia, CA
We tore out the ugly plumbing today!! Installed the Y valve below the dinette, padlocked it to go to holding tank. Had about 9 extra feet of sanitation hose I gave to my boat neighbor to plumb his project boat. Next I need to fill some holes that are left.
Went sailing on beautiful Monterey Bay and saw a large pod of white sided dolphins. I asked them "hey where is your holding tank?" They said "we're holding it till the 3 mile mark." I really do agree that we should do our part to not pump overboard in the marina and near beaches. I sure don't want to swim in fecal contaminated waters. But the sewage treatment plants release raw sewage every year during the rainy season. They need to clean up that kind of pollution instead of hassling private recreational boaters.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Sorry Jibemama, did not mean to spoiil the party. Your story on this head plumbing is very interesting. We can save the other "waste" stuff for a later date.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.