Head hoses

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Attempting to replace the hoses for the toilet on my ODay 302. I pulled out the old hose, my assumption is the fuel tank has to be removed to install the new hoses. Has anyone remover there fuel tank. Looks straight forward but every job I seem to attempt leads to several other problems or I end up doing something wrong. Looking for any pitfalls anyone has encountered.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just wondering, why you didn't connect the new hose to the end of the old hose and pull them through together?

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
I did, the original hose broke. Hose was original and lot thinner than the new hose

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Murphy was actually an optimist when he said 'ANYthing that can go wrong will. The truth is, EVERYthing that can go wrong will, usually immediately after you think you've solved the first problem.

If you could get to the tank to pull remove the old hose, you should be able to put the new hose on...If you can just get it TO the tank. If you can, you should be able to crawl in far enough with a long piece of sturdy twine, which you can us as a "fish line" (a string used by electricians to pull new wiring from a receptacle up to an attic, among other things) to pull the new hose through. Hopefully you have at least an extra few inches of new hose...drill a hole through both sides of it and run the other end of the twine through 'em.
An off-the-wall idea, but it's the best I can think of and worth trying to avoid having to pull the fuel tank
--Peggie

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Reminds me of my phone installer days. Do you have a cat you can tie a string to, put him in the tight space, then go to the other end and call him over?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Apparently you've never owned--or more accurately, been owned by--a cat. If you had, you know that cats only come when they're called at feeding time.
--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Harbor Freight sells "fish sticks" for 10 or $15. The ends will fall off at some point but they give you like 5 sticks. Brand name sticks will run you about $30 for three of them. I have yet to have an end fall off after using them at work for the past couple of years. I have the cheaper ones at home. I've tried a number of times to fish wires through walls without them. I struggled and got them through within minutes of using the sticks. USB snake cams are also useful in situations like this. They can be had for about $20 online

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
cats only come when they're called at feeding time
Harbor Freight sells "fish sticks"
Sounds like a good combination. :biggrin:

I've used electrical fishing type wire before and it does work great for wires. Not sure how it would work for hoses that have ends way bigger than the fishing "line". I would think the end of the hose would keep getting jammed on things.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not sure how it would work for hoses that have ends way bigger than the fishing "line". I would think the end of the hose would keep getting jammed on things.
Thats why I suggested drilling two very small holes 180 degrees apart in the hose...run the line--which can be as thin as fishing line--through 'em and tie the end to the line with a good strong knot.

I've never heard of "fish sticks" so I can't comment on what works with those.
--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Thats why I suggested drilling two very small holes 180 degrees apart in the hose...run the line--which can be as thin as fishing line--through 'em and tie the end to the line with a good strong knot.

I've never heard of "fish sticks" so I can't comment on what works with those.
--Peggie
I like your idea to drill a hole in the end of the hose. I heard the term "fish sticks" when I did a AV installation job. It's stuck ever since. Here's an example of what they look like

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thanks! I'm guessing you just assemble the sections till the rod is the length needed, and then push it through to a person at the other end? How would you attach the hose to it?
--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm guessing you just assemble the sections till the rod is the length needed, and then push it through to a person at the other end? How would you attach the hose to it?
A hand at the other end is a luxury when I run cables. It's pretty amazing how small of an opening you can get cables through with these things. The good ones are built tough and sometimes it takes some muscle to get them through corners or small openings.
I was thinking a zip tie around the hose and the stick would be enough for a short term pull. Taping the end of the hose flat may help pull it through small openings. A hole like you suggested would be the best. The sticks have a hook and a hole attachment that screws on so you can attach things to them. A few inches of electrical tape is usually sufficient for cabling however

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I will be changing some of the head hoses on my O’Day 322 soon. On my boat, the head hose exits the toilet and goes under a bulkhead, and into my lazzarette. From there, it rises along the bulkhead, to a vented loop. Then down back in to the bottom of the lazzarette and across the boat to the holding tank.

My diesel tank is at the bottom of that lazzarette, but the hoses seem to run down the side of the bulkhead in front of the tank (here’s hoping).

I will try to take some photos when I tackle this.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Your vented loop is in the wrong place...it belongs immediately after the toilet. A vented loop in the toilet discharge is only needed in a line that connects to a below waterline thru-hull. So if you're only flushing into the you don't need one. However, if it's an uphill run to the tank, a loop--just a loop, not a vented loop-- immediately after the toilet that's just a wee bit higher the top of the tank can reduce the number of strokes or length of time on the flush button needed to get the flush all the way to the tank 'cuz you only need to flush long enough to push bowl contents over the top of the loop...gravity will get it the rest of the way.
All that said...surely there's a better shorter route to the tank than the route you describe...the discharge line takes a tour of the boat! If not, is there another location closer to the toilet? If you'd like to brainstorm what if any better way might be possible, send me a PM.
--Peggie

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Your vented loop is in the wrong place...it belongs immediately after the toilet. A vented loop in the toilet discharge is only needed in a line that connects to a below waterline thru-hull. So if you're only flushing into the you don't need one. However, if it's an uphill run to the tank, a loop--just a loop, not a vented loop-- immediately after the toilet that's just a wee bit higher the top of the tank can reduce the number of strokes or length of time on the flush button needed to get the flush all the way to the tank 'cuz you only need to flush long enough to push bowl contents over the top of the loop...gravity will get it the rest of the way.
All that said...surely there's a better shorter route to the tank than the route you describe...the discharge line takes a tour of the boat! If not, is there another location closer to the toilet? If you'd like to brainstorm what if any better way might be possible, send me a PM.
--Peggie
Thanks Peggy. Not sure why the boat is set up this way, but I did question the need for a vented loop when I only have a holding tank ( no overboard discharge). The vented loop may be used to create a pretty tight turn. The Trident hose is pretty stiff.

It sounds like the hose goes a long way, but in reality, it is a pretty short run. The toilet is up against a bulkhead, and the hose runs up the back side of that bulkhead, with the loop, then down and to the tank. I would guess less than 10feet in total.

Greg