Have You ever recovered an item that went to the bottom?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Recovery

Yes. Deck light lens just this weekend and my cousin's camera several years ago. Camera was in salt water for a couple of days, but ruined it and the SIM card.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Rudder pintle for a catamaran.. found it.. water about 6 feet deep, bottom flat clay with no silt.. no visibility, but the part was directly under where we dropped it.. Part shape allowed it to just go straight down.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes, lots of things. but like Squidd I cheat... I sail on Lake Superior where you can see down into over 20 feet of water to the sand bottom.

Jun 5, 2004
HUNTER 450 Rockhall MD
We recovered my wife's new Bike this past weekend from Baltimore harbor . My son put it on the kick stand on the finger pier . Boat hook in 10 foot of water but the Mother's Day present after a wash is back on deck. No kickstand usage on a finger pier that is floating. Oh to be 15 years old

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
I have not. I have 2 pair of expensive prescription sunglasses about 300' down in the lake we sail.

However...one time at the boat launch, when my kids were about 8 or 10 years old, my son needed something back at the truck. When he came back with the car keys, something possessed him to toss them back (almost) to the boat. Since they were the only set we had with us, we weren't real pleased, and told him he'd have to try to dive for them. He ended up paying his twin sister to do it for him. She very willingly dove down and miraculously came up with them within seconds, 5 bucks to the positive. This was not the only time she made money off her brother's mistakes.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
In NJ no chance of seeing anything under water but got Admirals glasses back with a garden rake in the slip.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
As a diver I've retrieved a lot of stuff … but my favorite story …. 40 years ago ...

I was a student at Moss Landing Marine Lab (in California), and a member of the lab's dive team. Someone (not me) lost an expensive salinity/temperature meter just off the intake of the Moss Landing Power Plant! We talked to the plant and it was decided that there was a 45 minute window when the intake was not sucking up water, and we decided to go for it. I was tied to a tether and over the side I went. I swam/crawled up that tube - can't remember how big it was but it seemed huge at the time. Sure enough I found it at the grate that kept stuff out of the intake. I was out of the water in plenty of time.

Then there was the time I fell off the side of the Monterey Underwater Canyon. But that's another story…...

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
...is the first thing that comes to mind.
Yes! My wife dropped one of the electronic keys $200 or so in about 20+ feet of water. Had our harbor master's wife dive with her scuba gear and see found them on her first attempt in not very clear water.

PS: We were 200 miles away from the spare key.

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
All,

I just spent 45 minutes yesterday afternoon making several 30-second 'under water' dives searching the botom for the 'life line gate' that I dropped over the side while tied up in boat slip.

I came up with <ZILCH> in the end.

All the sailboaters along my dock have commented that in their experience it's usually a 1 in 100 chance that you'll come up with the lost article. After yesterday's experience, I am inclined to believe it. :)

So, What have You dropped over the side AND then miraculously recovered it off the bottom?

regards,

James
I just dropped part of the pelican clip the other day!

I seem to be lucky when it comes to finding things, I've dropped a rubber mallet overboard and recovered it a few weeks later as I didn't feel like a dib that day - covered in barnacles but easy to clean up!.

Screws and bolts - even found these in the soft bottom

Part of my grill recently had a dip which I recovered a few days later (I wasn't at the boat when it fell in a friend was)

Pelican clip is on my to do

braol

Apr 16, 2014
Hunter 27 Rebel 16 Great Lakes Naval Base, IL
I dropped the engine oil dipstick to a Piper Cub amphibious float plane into the water one time. We were in the middle of nowhere in Washington State on a shallow river. Thank God we were tied up in a low-current bend in the river at the time. I still took over 30 minutes of plunging into ice-cold water before I found it. We left just as it started to get dark. I'll never do that again.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I also have dropped lots of stuff into the Chesapeake Bay's Elizabeth River, in 30ft of essentially black water at the dock. Recovered my prescription sunglasses once.

I drop in a weighted line at the last seen point to have a reference line to follow to the bottom and then to do circle searches around the line. It's typically pitch black below 20 Ft so I have an HID light to see about a foot.

I'm even more amazed by stuff I drop that has been stopped or hung by the toe rail. A few weeks back my drill fell over and was over the side hanging on the toe rail by the battery!

Kopite

Mar 11, 2015
Catalina 27 Monroe MI
@The Gambone.. That made me smile - but you can hardly blame the dog for jumping, especially him being a boy and all..."Little girl had SPAYED him and he jumped back off the dock "

Sep 6, 2011
Geez this is quite a list of what went over...lots of sockets, screws, a screwdriver or 3, 2 pressure washer wands, my new iPhone, brand new harken furler drum, 1 prop complete with prop come and anode, several pairs of sunglasses none prescription thankfully and 1 dog. The recovered list is much shorter..dog of course, harken furler drum, and a dead new iPhone in a new lifeproof case. It turns out that headphone Jack plug (not attached at this time) needs to be in place to keep the water out. :doh: I knew this of course but in my laziness I hadn't put it back. We spent hours hunting the prop to no avail. We have maybe 4-6" visibility.
SC