Has your club opened its doors for special events?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Kermit,

It sounds like a great opportunity to organize a unique club event. If the board doesn't agree, invite a few fellow solar eclipse enthusiasts as your guests and enjoy the day.

Our club opens for community outreach events and meetings, and individual members often hold charity, alumni & business events; as well as weddings, private parties and even memorial services. I personally host a management retreat at the club once a year for my company. We have open house events several times per year for member recruitment and have opened the club to the whole harbor a few times on major summer holidays - though I think maybe with mixed results. We have a full time manager and a staff of probably a dozen or so in-season, so we actually kind of need these events.

Ironicly, there are times when we practically go on lock down. We are in the unusual situation of having a 30k seat outdoor concert venue next door, literally less than fifty feet away. Fences and barricades go up for the major concerts and we have off duty police officers at the doors. We learned the need for such measures with the first major concert a few years ago. Long story short: Jimmy Buffet, nearly 30k people, heavy rain before the concert, flip-flops sucked off in the mud, beer sold in 20oz cans only & no rest room facilities near the exits...... You can guess where a large number of muddy bare foot people headed after the concert. :yikes:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Kermit,your club is 90 minutes from home? How often do you go there? This wouldn't be very convenient for stopping on the way home to work on a project I guess.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Kermit,your club is 90 minutes from home? How often do you go there? This wouldn't be very convenient for stopping on the way home to work on a project I guess.
Our club is worth the drive. There are two clubs on Lake Murray that are closer to us but Lake Murray Sailing Club is what we wanted for years without even realizing it. Distance is somewhat of an issue at times, though. Even if we lived next door to the club we still wouldn't sail as much as I want to. (There's a current thread on that topic.)

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Reciprocity

We grant reciprocity to members of other clubs. I think I'd start there and then allow folks from the community before considering someone from a random location.

I was in Bitburg Germany for an eclipse a few years ago we stood out in the open along the flight line it was a really odd sensation, the birds really were freaked out by it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good points, Clay. Hanging out was my general word. He just wants to come here to see the eclipse. I honestly don't know if we have a reciprocal agreement or not. This particular person would come from Florida so by boat is not an option. I'm just looking for thoughts on how other clubs have handled requests. I get only one vote but I want to make sure I have my thoughts together before the meeting. I'd like for us to come up with a policy soon so those that plan to travel to see the eclipse know if our club is an option for them. Thanks!
He wants a place to watch?
Well, if he's a sailor and you're going to be at the club to watch the eclipse, that's easy. Welcome him. That's what we do anyway; we have an open door policy for guests.