Has your club opened its doors for special events?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Our sailing club is right in the path of the Aug. 21 solar eclipse. We've received one request from a person in FL to come to our club and hangout with us. So now our Board of Stewards is contemplating how to handle requests from non-members on using our facilities. So far this is the only request but we anticipate more.

I personally am excited beyond belief about the eclipse. By nature I'm a welcoming person. Especially when it comes to sharing rare opportunities like this. On the other hand we need guidelines on whether or not to allow non-members to use our facilities. How has your club dealt with requests
such as this? We will begin discussing this at our next Board meeting. My feet are firmly planted on both sides of the fence but I need to take a stance on one side. What say you?

Thanks!

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
There should be some level of hazing. The new guy has to dress and talk like a pirate!

A lady pirate. :twisted:

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
We have had great success with special events and inviting the public to our club. It does take some organization and volunteers. We're a "blue collar yacht club" near a few smaller cities. http://www.baycityyachtclub.com/. We use these as opportunities to participate in the community and advertise our club.

We have visiting tall ships about every three years that parade right past our front lawn. We take out a special event liquor license and sell beer and burgers to the crowd, usually about 3-400 on lawn chairs and blankets. We need to have about 20 volunteers and employees cooking, bar tending, supervising parking, and other host duties, but everyone's orderly and except for some litter, not a problem.

We also host an annual safe boating day with safety inspections from the local coast guard auxiliary, a nautical rummage sale, and tents setup by marine businesses or museums etc. We get about 200 visitors with trailered boats or just visiting. This takes about 8 volunteers, but a little more planning due to multiple groups. Anyhow, these events work. Most people are good guests and are interested in the event rather than causing problems; they self-select. It's also a great opportunity to give a positive impression of the club. We have board members standing by to give tours, have brochures, and talk about joining.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Parsons, this is exactly why clubs should exist. Sharing the experience and fostering an interest in our sport and getting people excited about some of the special things that boating brings with it. It is also awesome that you have forward thinking people who have been able to use these events to the advantage of the club's treasury. More clubs should take your example. I think you should give them a plug here.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A local restaurant had a sign that said, "Mayo Yacht Club". the next line said, "Non-members only".

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Our club as with Parson's, host a couple of public events to bring awareness to the community and surrounding areas of the club benefits, the first of which is next month with the celebration of St Patrick's Day and then again during the week of July 22 for the Bayview Mackinac race (Port Huron to Mackinac), both events are staffed with volunteers from our blue collar, no paid employees sailing club.
These events allow us to present the club to the public at the same time raises cash for the coffers, the way I see it, its a win-win. Sure it gets real busy and it can be inconvenient for the members, but the increased revenue helps keep the cost to members down at the same time provides great advertising for the club.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Our sailing club is right in the path of the Aug. 21 solar eclipse. We've received one request from a person in FL to come to our club and hangout with us. So now our Board of Stewards is contemplating how to handle requests from non-members on using our facilities. So far this is the only request but we anticipate more.

I personally am excited beyond belief about the eclipse. By nature I'm a welcoming person. Especially when it comes to sharing rare opportunities like this. On the other hand we need guidelines on whether or not to allow non-members to use our facilities. How has your club dealt with requests
such as this? We will begin discussing this at our next Board meeting. My feet are firmly planted on both sides of the fence but I need to take a stance on one side. What say you?

Thanks!
We have two major "Special Events" per year (not including open houses to recruit new members) that are open to the public (i.e., non-members, and folks not individual guests of members); but, those also serve as fund raisers for the Club. The facility is available to some water-use groups for meetings generally during times when the facility is not in full use by members. It is unlikely that the facility would be open to requests from folks not members of a reciprocal yacht club to come and "hang out" to watch the eclipse (or join in any other activity). If anything, the Commodore might invite the person to come as her/his guest, etc. However, if the Board of Directors decided to promote a "Special Event" not on the regular calendar and open it up to "the public"; then, that would be a different matter. The issues would be debated by the BOD as to whether or not to do it, which would likely boil down to the results of a "costs-benefits" analysis. Even "blue-collar yacht clubs" have to stay in business.:)

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We allow non-profits to use the club generally and for almost any member-sponsored function subject to a cleaning deposit and agreement and a review of the purpose. There is a charge for outside groups that are not tax-exempted.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
We have two major "special events" per year that are open to the public (i.e., non-members, and folks not individual guests of members); but, those also serve as fund raisers for the Club. The facility is available to some water-use groups for meetings during times when the facility is not in full use by members. It is unlikely that the facility would be open to requests from folks not members of a reciprocal yacht club to come and "hang out" to watch the eclipse (or join in any other activity). If anything, the Commodore might invite the person to come as her/his guest, etc. However, if the Board of Directors decided to promote a Special Event, not on the regular calendar, and open it to "the public"; then it would be a different matter. The issue would be the debate within the BOD as to do it or not, which would likely as not boil down to the results of a cost-benefits analysis. Even "blue-collar yacht clubs" have to stay in business.
That's exactly what we have to discuss. We are a member-run club with no paid staff. I imagine hotels will charge a premium for that weekend. We can accommodate a few self-contained campers although we don't have utilities for them.

This is a tough call for me. I want to be reasonable about everything. We need to look out for the best interest of members while potentially accommodating others. And increasing awareness of our club.

I can stay home and watch the eclipse from my yard. But something about watching from our boat with friends seems like a whole lot of fun.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We try hard to have outreach events at our club. It helps us when dealing with town officials (Harbormaster, Shellfish Commission, Wetlands, etc.) and also brings in potential new members. This past summer we had the schooner America visit, and about 2000 non-members came to see her. It made front-page local news. The eclipse sounds like a great opportunity to invite an astronomer to give a talk to the whole community and discuss celestial navigation. Others have suggested how such events can also generate revenue - always useful where boats are involved.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
We try hard to have outreach events at our club. It helps us when dealing with town officials (Harbormaster, Shellfish Commission, Wetlands, etc.) and also brings in potential new members. This past summer we had the schooner America visit, and about 2000 non-members came to see her. It made front-page local news. The eclipse sounds like a great opportunity to invite an astronomer to give a talk to the whole community and discuss celestial navigation. Others have suggested how such events can also generate revenue - always useful where boats are involved.
Do astronomers work for free and travel at their own expense at the behest/request of community groups, and on short notice? I once wished to invite a distinguished author to come down to Long Beach from Santa Barbara to give a seminar to the Club on exploring the northern Channel Islands by sail, and I could not convince the BOD to offer to compensate his 230 mi RT travel (mileage + lunch/dinner).:doh: So, no invitation.

Last edited:

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Last Summer we were guests at the North Flathead lake Yacht club on Flathead lake in Montana.
I had contacted the yacht club if they would accept transients, so they had to take to their board meeting, and then we got accepted I think we paid $100.00 for the week and we had a great time, when we got there they assigned us a slip, (we could choose between several) , we had water and power, showers, bar b que it was great, the members were super friendly and very helpful. Wish more yacht clubs would do this, accepting guests .
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What do you mean by 'hang out'??

Are they coming with/by boat?
Are they members of a yacht club?
Are they staying an hour, a day, or a week?

We have club reciprocity and try hard to accommodate other sailors. We also try and be welcoming to the general public. But there are limits.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
General public (not to sound harsh here) who have no idea of what's dangerous should probably not be crawling around the docks after dark.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
General public (not to sound harsh here) who have no idea of what's dangerous should probably not be crawling around the docks after dark.
Darkness will last only two and a half minutes. Then sunshine again. And if they're crawling that means they've been hanging out in bars with you. ;-)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
What do you mean by 'hang out'??

Are they coming with/by boat?
Are they members of a yacht club?
Are they staying an hour, a day, or a week?

We have club reciprocity and try hard to accommodate other sailors. We also try and be welcoming to the general public. But there are limits.
Good points, Clay. Hanging out was my general word. He just wants to come here to see the eclipse. I honestly don't know if we have a reciprocal agreement or not. This particular person would come from Florida so by boat is not an option. I'm just looking for thoughts on how other clubs have handled requests. I get only one vote but I want to make sure I have my thoughts together before the meeting. I'd like for us to come up with a policy soon so those that plan to travel to see the eclipse know if our club is an option for them. Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I would think if they are coming as a guest of a member, and are in the company of that member, why not. Otherwise, no unknown people allowed. That's my club's policy. What is so special about your location that people can't park on the street and watch?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sounds like Ron has the right idea if you can't make an official club event out of it. Invite the person who wants to come as your guest for the evening. You're interested in the eclipse. He's interested in the eclipse. It costs you an evening and might earn you a lifelong friend. If my club wasn't willing to arrange something special, maybe I'd simply have a bunch of my club member friends (and my invitee) all simply come down and bring telescopes and binoculars for a pot luck viewing party. If the visitor is THAT interested in the eclipse, maybe HE could be a speaker and tell the rest of the group about it. No fuss, no muss.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Do astronomers work for free and travel at their own expense at the behest/request of community groups, and on short notice? I once wished to invite a distinguished author to come down to Long Beach from Santa Barbara to give a seminar to the Club on exploring the northern Channel Islands by sail, and I could not convince the BOD to offer to compensate his 230 mi RT travel (mileage + lunch/dinner).:doh: So, no invitation.
Calling in February to line up a speaker for a presentation in late August should be sufficient notice. My wife is an author and charges for her presentations, so it is easy to see how costs could come into play. For this location on Lake Murray in South Carolina however, perhaps a professor from USC at Columbia could be persuaded to give a talk for free. They offer majors in Geological and Geophysical Science so there is likely a well-informed person on the faculty who might be eager to talk about his or her specialty in the hope of attracting more students. Someone from the Air Force base nearby might also be interesting to hear. They are involved with telemetry and orbits and such, which pertain to eclipses. Both of these types of institutions are often eager to show how they interact positively with nearby communities. It would be a win-win opportunity for the club to provide a venue and a speaker for people who might be interested and use that to create an event that would work to increase membership. Maybe a New Member Drive, with visitors invited to listen to the presentation and then take a short sail or walk on the docks to view the fleet, then watch the eclipse. If your club roster is full, never mind, but since August 21st is a Monday, whatever happens is not likely to interfere with many members' activities and it's not likely that there's much else planned for that day at this point. At the very least, our Entertainment Committee would definitely be planning something if we had this opportunity fall in our laps.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Interesting responses so far. We probably would be discussing everything mentioned even without this thread. @PaulK hit on some great points. Turns out we have at least one USC professor in our club. A university from Virginia, maybe Virginia Tech, has asked to set up equipment at Shaw Air Force Base here in Sumter. Excitement is growing all around. My wife is beginning to understand my enthusiasm. (That's a euphemism for obsessive excitement.)

Yes, anyone can drive to within the path of totality and pull over and watch it. I'm planning to drive an hour and a half to our club when I can just walk out my door to watch. So I understand why someone from out of state would want to join us. This really seems like a great opportunity for our club. It could also be difficult since we're a member-run club. I'm just glad to be caught up in it all!