Has anyone replaced a rub rail?

Apr 19, 2015
Macgregor 26C River Way, Rockledge, FL
Had to do some fiberglass repair on a 10 inch section under the rub rail. That portion of the rail was destroyed. I purchased a new rub rail from BWY but the instructions say it is an extremely difficult job. I'm afraid to dive into it. Has anyone replaced a rub rail and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks
Steve

Apr 19, 2015
Is it the rubber, or the aluminum rub rail channel you're replacing?
The video at my link is the rubber replacement.
The rubber one. I bought a 50 ft spool of it from bwy. From what I've seen you need a come-along to stretch it and 3m5200 adhesive.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
I did the same thing to my 26S, repaired the deck joint in several places, took the while thing apart and resealed it, replaced the rub rail with a 50' roll from BWY.

I'm not saying i dunit right.;) And i may go back to it again several more times as i use the boat more.

But i started by just wrapping the thing around the boat and stretching it as far as i could by hand. I screwed it in on one side, walked it up to the front, pulling it behind me as i went (as if leading a resistant donkey). Popped it in place a little at a time as i went along. Got to the front, and went around the corner. That pretty much held the one side in place as i walked it back down the other side. I was able to stretch it far enough this way to screw in the other side. Then i waited a few days while it sat in the hot FL sun.

Went back to it and started pulling the slack out of it, so-to-speak. On each side, i would start near the front, pulling on it toward the back, until i had pulled it about 18 inches or so longer in the back, then cut that extra off and screwed the new end back on. Did that on both sides. Have done that twice so far, and have not yet sealed it with 5200. Not completely convinced that we need to seal our "snap-on" style rubber rub rails to the boat since they don't fit perfectly down over the deck joint. I have a good deck joint seal now, and I'm not sure i want something sealed over it and holding moisture against it.

Will probably pull a little more slack out again soon. This was a good reminder to check on it. Note that this may not be 100% right. But the basic job is not that intimidating if you're just trying to get a rub rail back on the boat.

Apr 19, 2015
I placed the center of the rub rail on the bow point and attached a come along to both ends behind the stern. Stretched the heck out of it so there was two feet extra on both sides. Then I screwed the port side of the rail into the stern. Pulled and snapped on with 3M 5200 all the way to the bow and around the other side and screwed it in place on the starboard stern.