Has anyone converted to Tie Down disc brakes?

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
I'm considering updating my drum brakes to disc. Tie Downs look like they will fit, but it also looks like I might have to partially disassemble calipers to pull off hubs to check bearings and seals. Any other thoughts or considerations? Thanks.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Pulling calipers to get the hub off is a one or two bolt operation and a good time to check pads also. I'm guessing you currently have surge brakes so you might think about going to electric over hydraulic. The extra cost is only a couple hundred $ when replacing a complete system but the safety factor is priceless. Flame suit on!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'll take LeeandRicks flamesuit and double it.

My opinion (and almost nobody agrees with me) is..... electric drum brakes for the trailer. Why? They're as simple as simple can be and super cheap to boot. Yes, they'll corrode (in salt) and require more frequent replacement. But there's nothing easier to do than replace a set of trailer brakes and did I mention it's cheap? Particularly if your tow vehicle has an integrated brake controller (Like a Ford pickup with the tow package will).

Electric over hydraulic is 'better'. But more expensive. And I hate surge brakes. I wanna be able to reach down to the controller and put the brakes on and make sure they work. So cheapie electric drums and replace em when they stop working is my opinion. (And very few others will share that opinion)