Harpswell ME to Cape Cod Canal

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
How long time wise do you think it would take to sail form Cape Cod Canal to Harpswell ME. would heading heading back take longer or would it be quicker? I know the prevailing winds in Buzzards Bay are SW but have never sailed Mass Bay to ME.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Depending on your "push" probably 32-36 hours..
To look at rough/round numbers, you can use about 4 knots as an average..
That assumes a good weather window..

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
How long time wise do you think it would take to sail form Cape Cod Canal to Harpswell ME. would heading heading back take longer or would it be quicker? I know the prevailing winds in Buzzards Bay are SW but have never sailed Mass Bay to ME.
It's less than 100nm, as the crow flies. 'If' the prevailing Southwesterlies are blowing, you could get a pretty good sail, on a broad reach - port tack, all the way. But that doesn't usually happen,...

But if you left the CCCanal mid-day, in favorable conditions, you should easily arrive the following day about mid-day, or perhaps in the am(if it goes your way). And that could be under sail, power, or a combination.

It's likely the return trip will take longer because the prevailing winds are on the nose. However, we've had good trips with some wind on the nose(in fact one of our shortest times crossing from Penobscot Bay to the CCC, was into headwinds).

Either way, there are good spots to break up the trip, along the way. Good luck.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
All U Get! That is cooking, man.. My "Google Earth" says it is around 125 nm from the north mouth (east end?) of the cape Cod Canal to the village of Harpswell kinda at the north end of the peninsula ?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We did it in 19 hours, but spent four of them beating in light air to Portland Head. Did most of the rest under a reefed main at 10+ knots. Left Harpswell at noon on a Saturday and arrived in Southport CT before noon on Monday without setting the spinnaker. We've also done the run south with a stopover in Gloucester, which can be a nice break if conditions stop being fun. For planning purposes I usually figure a five knot average along the rhumbline. That keeps us from being disappointed when we have to beat, and keeps us happy when we're able to to better. Be sure to have blueberry muffins from Harpswell's Dolphin Marina Restaurant. Finestkind!

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
All U Get! That is cooking, man.. My "Google Earth" says it is around 125 nm from the north mouth (east end?) of the cape Cod Canal to the village of Harpswell kinda at the north end of the peninsula ?
Checked my log, 4 am P-Town and 8 pm Falmouth right next to Harpswell. It is 100 mm charted CCC to Portland and we do 7 kts or better. If the sea is flat we toot along nicely so we wait for a nice window and enjoy the ride.
My chart plotter puts it at 120 mm to the Eagles Nest.

All U Get

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Bob,

We just met some folks here in the Abaco's on a Catalina 30 MK I. They were doing about 6.8-7kts when we passed them on a broad reach. You probably get about the same. You can break up the trip with a stop in Gloucester or Isle of Shoals.

All U Get