Hard grounding damage

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
I just tried posting this on the tsbb forum,but cant get photos uploaded there, so here goes. I suspect my Precision 23 hard a hard grounding or some damage prior to my ownership. Now, i have water weeping out of the keel trunk now that its home on concrete, we stain is noticable, was not in the grass at the marina.photo is taken looking sternward from the volcano , i suspect the yellow is epoxy that was dumped in there and is now failing to keep water out. Thoughts, anyone else could supply photos for comparison, or ask other owners, would relly appreciate it. Thanks.,Dave
IMG_20181103_153743886_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181103_153743886_HDR.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@DAVA390 anything is possible. What does it look like from the outside?
From the photo what is it that makes you arrive at the conclusion - a hard grounding?

Hard grounding could mean it hit a rock while sailing or the boat came to a sudden stop while being lowered on a lift.

The water in the bilge is one of the pieces of the puzzle Water can get in the bilge in a lot of ways/paths. The white looks like paint droppings. There does appear to be hairline cracks in the image but that is a guess on my part. It could also be thin wire that has fallen into the bilge.
So let's take a look (triage) the outside at the keel and forward section of the bow/ keel before we panic.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
on trailor at home now. Not panicking, but will be looking under bow when a little better weather outside. Actually best view might have to be in the slings with the centerboard down. maybe fill bilge with water and look for seepage inside centerboard housing, i`m thinking. suspicion because old boat records indicate new centerboard purchase, (cant remember when right now). Previous repair to port side hull opened up on my first trailer run from the house to the marina 5 years ago. P.O. denied knowledge of that repair. Rough ed up, crinkled up fiberglass under cockpit, makes me think hull might have been stressed there also.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Certainly possible. After all it is a boat, and all previous owners never had a problem with their boat. :liar:
The center board boats I have had could develop leaks in the tunnel. Had one that liked to spit water up the tunnel and into the cockpit when I sailed in strong winds and chop. Would spit water on my feet, as I played in the waves, the wind in my hair and a grin on my face. :biggrin:
At times we had a bit of a love hate relationship. But she was an able and sturdy little boat.
Do you have her home for the winter?
Might be a time to put up one of those pop up tents and raise her up off the trailer on some stands. Would give you access to all of the bottom so you do not have to lie on your back to work on her. For several years I would lie on the ground to work on my boats bottom. Then I built up two cradles from 2x4's One for the front half and one for the back half of the boat.
Lift her off the trailer and she stood about 4 feet off the ground. I could lower the center board enough to put a split piece of rubber at the stern of the tunnel This served to stop the spitting. Just an idea.