Hard dodger or traditional canvas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Jan 30, 2008
Hunter 33 -
This is really a curiosity question. What are the opinions regarding hard dodgers and canvas dodgers? Cost? Weight? Windage? Types of glass? etc...
I know some people don't like any dodger, but this is really for the people in the north east where they are very useful.
Jack

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Jack:

Hard Dodger (very expensive)

Canvas Dodger: We had one made a couple of years ago. We ended up using Sunbrella Plus for the top piece. This is a great idea. It makes cleaning much easier and it does not require that it is treated each year. Our bimini is also made from the same material.

Windows: We ended up using Lexan. The good thing about Lexan is that is alway clear unlike vinyl that wrinkles and gets cloudy. All of our window panels are removable (I would suggest that every dodger is made this way). When they need zippers for the top and bottom panel, it should start the zippers on opposite sides to make starting the zipper much easier if possible. The down side of Lexan is that it will abrade easily. The panels also need to be stored flat (cannot roll or fold them).

Frame: Be sure that the frame is made from thick walled stainless steel tubing (NOT aluminum). A hand hold on the aft and sides.

Also you need consider the height of the unit. You and the designer need to talk about egress, design and how you can integrate it with a bimini if you think you may want to do that too.

We paid $3600 for a dodger on our HV'36. If you have a bimini or plan to get one be sure that you have zippers installed on the trailing edge of the dodger. This make putting a connector between the two units much easier.

I am sure you will get some additionals but the dodger is one of the better enhancements for cruisers. It helps keep the sun off the interior and makes fall and winter trips a lot more comfortable.

Be sure to look at the work of the company that is going to make the unit for you. There are good looking dodgers on powerboats that look like crap on a sailboat. So even if a company can sew a good dodger it does not mean that they can design one that looks good.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
There are soooooo many options that it gets mind boggling. The best advice I can give is to find the best canvas guy you can. Dodgers are one of the toughest canvas items to do well and many fail miserably at it.

Some options:

Stratta Glass windows
EZ2CY Glass Windows
Welded Grab Rail
Side Grab Rails
Luff Tape Type Attachment To Deck
Lift-A-Dot Attachment
Snap Attachment
Twist Lock Attachment
Stamoid Fabric
Sunbrella Fabric
Sunbrella Plus Fabric
Zip Off Side Windows
Zip Out Front Window
Drop top
Bracing Struts
304 or 316 SS
Heavy Wall or Thin Walled Tube
Polyester Thread or Tenara (Gore Thread)
Leather/Suede Wrap On Grab Rail
Crown & Rake (shape of dodger)
Window Placement
Window Covers
Lapels To Cover Zippers

etc. etc. on and on

A very poor & pathetic example of a dodger:

The well made and well executed replacement for that dodger:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On San Francisco bay our dodger is a huge asset to us. At times when we are in shorts and tee shirt we see the dodgerless racers in full foul weather gear. It creates a zone of protection in the cockpit that is invaluable.

My dodger has been patched and mended to the point were it must be replaced soon. As noted above, whatever I get, the frame is going to be strong enough for a gorilla to do pull ups on, and there will be handles along the sides.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
I would rather have a good canvas dodger any day than a hard dodger or even a Bimini. It's more practical in every respect.

The hard dodger may provide space for solar panels, but it would have to be very deftly designed or it will be an obnoxious eyesore. Someone had put a hard dodger on a Cherubini 44 that came into our yard. Needless to say the new owner had us take it off at once.

On Diana my solar panels go on the spray hood (hatch cover).

I designed a rigid dodger frame for Diana in the style of the one Robin Lee Graham had on Dove. But the idea is to cover the hatch and a little to either side, leaving plenty of room for getting around it and seeing past it while still protecting the hatchway. I have not yet had it made or the frame put up yet so I'll let you know how it works.

Jack

Jan 30, 2008
Hunter 33 -
thanx

Thank you to all...
sorry for late reply...
lots to think about...
jack

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Steve Dion,

Since we are in the same area, who made your dodger for you?

John Brecher

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
John:

It was Pacific Coast Canvas at the time. They have changed their name, but I think that they are still making a quality product. I am quite pleased with ours. We have had it for 3 years. They only had one minor screw-up and that is correctable.

They are located in Grand Marina in Alameda.

Here is their link!

http://www.pacificcrestcanvas.com/

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Suggest contacting Sandra Sandra@newjsi.com, 1-800-652-4914, 2233 3rd Ave S.
St Petersburg, FL 33712, Local: (727) 577-3220
with jsi about an economical east coast dodger. Consider Seamarkfabric and Strataglass window vinyl. Cost is less than 50% of local canvas shops.

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco

Johnb,

Besides Pacific Coast Canvas at the Grand Marina in Alameda at 510-521-1829
you might want to contact Tom with Cover Craft at Brickyard Cover in Point Richmond 5
10.234.4400, Elizabeth Durrant elizabethmdurrant@yahoo.com 510-325-7501 at KKMI in Point Richmond and Rick and Ronda at Bayside Canvas in Vallejo 707-812-8108 baysidecanvas3@aol.com. Elizabeth Durrant and Bayside Canvas are the most cost competitive and very timely.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 376 Oyster Bay, LI, NY
Jack, you don't say where in the Northeast you're located.

If you're in the Long Island Sound area (Port Washington, Oyster Bay, Huntington) I'd strongly recommend Greg Fitzmaurice at Custom Canvas, Shop Phone: (516) 624-0247 or Cell Phone: (516) 375-3170.

Excellent work....

Status
Not open for further replies.