Hard Bimini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
Is there someone out there who has created a hard bimini for their sailboat. What sheet material did you use? Starboard (even 1/4") would seem to be too heavy. Bob

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have been toying with the idea of a hard top for our boat, as well.
After an internet search for something which is already produced for another (hopefully non-marine $$$) use, I came across the hard tonneau covers for pick ups. For us the long bed full size tonneau would be almost perfect length wise and with a 2' section in the middle of clear plexi to see the rig, be perfect width wise. Mounting should be a breeze as they are rigid and only four legs should be needed with a dodger on the front. And what a great place for solar panels!
They come well finished in a multitude of colors and perhaps a small pick up tonneau would work on your OI 33?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Been thinking of the thin sheets of Luan plywood used for interior hollow-core doors. Around 1/4" thick. I would like to bend this over the existing bimini frame. I would cover with a layer of fiberglass mat and epoxy, then paint with a 2 part paint. Not designed to be stood on.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I think that hard biminis and dodgers are good ideas. I rarely sail without the bimini and dodger up. In the summer it is shade, in the winter it is shelter. You could have a fabric connector.

One that would be okay for installing solar panels would be even better. Even cooler would be a rigid bimini that is one big solar panel!

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Could u use an existing bimini and fiberglass over the fabric?? Would it hold it rigid, would the resin stick to the fabric. just a thought??Red

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
hard bimini and dodger

Is there someone out there who has created a hard bimini for their sailboat. What sheet material did you use? Starboard (even 1/4") would seem to be too heavy. Bob
I replaced my canvas with Komocel - a PVC sheet material available in 4x8 sheets, as I recall it comes 5mm or 10mm thickness. I used the heavier 10mm. My dodger and bimini frame are tubular stainless steel, so I used Harken 1 in straps to attach the top to the frame. I also replaced the canvas straps that attached the canvas top to the deck with stainless tube.
What I have is pretty robust, we ( me, dog, boat) were on the mooring for the Derecho storm last spring ( 80 mph wind) with no problem. The top is rigid; wind goes over or under, does not "catch" the smooth surface. It stayed up all winter and is performing great this year too.
Since it is white it reflects heat, a big unexpected bonus. I now have two 50 watt solar panels on the bimini top with no ill effects.
Total weight of the PVC is probably in the 30-40 pound range, a couple pounds for hardware and a few more for the solar panel. All told probably the same or less than a water soaked canvas top.
A local fabricator who does a lot of motor yachts suggested the Komocel, I found it at www.harborsales.net. Delivered it was about 80 dollars a sheet, because of the cuts involved I used 3 and had a lot of material to pass on to friends for small projects.
This isn't structural stuff like starboard, the surfaces are hard and shiny, in between is softer. For cutting I used a router on a slow speed, for assembly I used fender washers to protect from pulling through the sheet. Joined two sheets together with a butt joint overlapped by a two inch piece but have seen it butt jointed with 5200 too.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
I replaced my canvas with Komocel - a PVC sheet material available in 4x8 sheets, as I recall it comes 5mm or 10mm thickness. I used the heavier 10mm. My dodger and bimini frame are tubular stainless steel, so I used Harken 1 in straps to attach the top to the frame. I also replaced the canvas straps that attached the canvas top to the deck with stainless tube.
What I have is pretty robust, we ( me, dog, boat) were on the mooring for the Derecho storm last spring ( 80 mph wind) with no problem. The top is rigid; wind goes over or under, does not "catch" the smooth surface. It stayed up all winter and is performing great this year too.
Since it is white it reflects heat, a big unexpected bonus. I now have two 50 watt solar panels on the bimini top with no ill effects.
Total weight of the PVC is probably in the 30-40 pound range, a couple pounds for hardware and a few more for the solar panel. All told probably the same or less than a water soaked canvas top.
A local fabricator who does a lot of motor yachts suggested the Komocel, I found it at www.harborsales.net. Delivered it was about 80 dollars a sheet, because of the cuts involved I used 3 and had a lot of material to pass on to friends for small projects.
This isn't structural stuff like starboard, the surfaces are hard and shiny, in between is softer. For cutting I used a router on a slow speed, for assembly I used fender washers to protect from pulling through the sheet. Joined two sheets together with a butt joint overlapped by a two inch piece but have seen it butt jointed with 5200 too.
I would be interested in looking at pictures of this solution, if you happen to be in a position to take and upload them sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.