HAPS, Langley, Whiebey Island, Wa August 21-23, 2015

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
HAPS Langley Cruise Summary August 21-23, 2015
Well, fellow Hapsters these rendezvous continue to impress and delight. Our 12 boats had a whale of a time this weekend. We would have been 14 but Bill and Val Sheehy of SV Visions had starter problems and Stuart and Linda Scadron-Wattles of SV Selah took ill and also had to cancel. It was our first time to Langley so it was exciting to see yet another new to us port.
The Langley Harbormaster, Duncan, reserved the entire new pier for us so all of us were together and all had power. The end of season Rock the Dock music festival was conducted Saturday afternoon and night on the original pier so that was an added bonus.

Friday night was the typical meet and greet with drinks and snacks on the pier. Folks made their own dinners aboard or ventured into the charming small town of Langley. Ruth and I had a wonderful dinner with Gary and Laurie Coykendall and Lawrence and Kim Fronczek of Specialty Yachts, Vancouver BC. Lawrence and his lovely bride, Kim, of one week talked boats and HAPS.

Saturday morning we were treated to blueberry pancakes and sausage courtesy of our hosts Dave and Mary Weale of SV Dulcinea and co-hosts and brand new members Blaine Nelson and Melissa Blankenship of SV Aloha Makai, Blain’s daughter Makena and her friend Gillian and Daisy their yellow lab. A huge thanks to the four of them for a fabulous weekend. Kudos especially to Blain and Melissa for volunteering to co-host having never been to a HAPS event or knowing anyone in HAPS. They are a wonderful family and a terrific addition to our already friendly club.

That afternoon each boat decorated their boat, had a theme song, dance and drink. Impressive performances were made by Motown impresarios Larry and Sue Tughan doing a wonderful rendition of “My Girl” by the Temptations. Jim and Vicki Carey of SV Stella Maris did a heart tugging foxtrot on the pier. John and Kerstin Hilton of SV New Shoes wowed everyone with their Popeye the Sailor Man and an obviously smitten Olive Oil. Ray and Deb Valpey of SV Sloe Tango graced us with their Islands in the Stream duet complete with accompanying guitar. Deb prefaced the performance with the statement that she had the distinction of being asked to leave her church choir. At any rate their heart rending version of Islands in the Stream was good enough for first place.

I would be terribly remiss if I did not give special mention to Lawrence and his generous contributions to HAPS. First of all each boat received a Specialty Yachts heavy duty canvas tote bag with a bottle of wine in it. He also donated delicious gourmet cheeses and meats for our Saturday night dinner. But what left the assembled HAPSTERS completely speechless and overwhelmed was his check for $1,000 to HAPS. Ruth wrote a very nice thank you note and all attendees signed it. If you feel so inclined send him a thank you note or drop him an email. Lawrence@Specialty-yachts.com. Or Specialty Yachts, Granville Island, 102-1676 Duranleau St, Vancouver, BC., V6H 3S4.

He also invited us to attend the VIP night Tuesday, Sept 15, 2015, of the September 16-20, 2015 Lake Union Boats Afloat Show. Folks, this is a late afternoon early evening boat show without the crowds. Lawrence will leave tickets for those interested at Will Call. Lawrence will be moving boats starting September 10th so since he will be very, very busy before then I need to know your desires by September 2nd. He plans to bring the new MH31, MH 37, MH 50 and the new Marlow Mainship 31E.

I will bring with me to the Poulsbo rendezvous an apparel catalog so we might discuss possible order of nice shirts with either Hunter or HAPS over the left breast and boat name over the right breast.

Important notes and dates

September 2nd. Let me know if you desire to attend the VIP night of the boat show, courtesy of Lawrence.
September 11-13 Poulsbo Rendezvous. Hosts Ben and Em Stewart, Dave and Susie Garland
September 16-20 Lake Union Boats Afloat Show

HAPS, nice people with nice boats having a nice time together.

Cheers,

Mike and Ruth Murray Fleet Co-Captains 2015.