Happy Independence Day!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
And sorry to our British friends but we really needed to go a different way. If you do anything to celebrate the 4th spend a little time reading the Declaration of Independence . It is an awesome document that changed the course of history. I celebrate that.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The Fourth is my favorite holiday. It's the start of summer on the coast of Maine. Suddenly, half the license plates driving through town are out of state. There were boats from everywhere heading in and out of the harbor. We took 15 of us out on a 'harbor tour'.

Dinner on the harbor below, my daughter carrying near 20 pounds of steaming hard shells as my son is getting a ribbing from my SIL.

Friends from NYC, Boston and New Orleans are all happy to be on the coast of Maine with enough of a sea breeze to make the mid 80 temps, pleasant.
4th of July Harborque 2019_.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
And just look at those lobsters! I see red.
My rule: 10 minutes per pound. We use a large propane burner to steam them. I think hard shells (as opposed to new shells or shedders), turn redder, now that you mention it.
4th of July Harborque 2019 lobsters.jpg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looks wonderful. It's not a cinch to cool lobsters so the meat isn't tough. Steaming is even more difficult. Some tips would be appreciated. Do you start with chilled lobsters? Is quick and hot better than slow (Not that slow is desired but if you put a bunch of them in at the same time it cools the pot off.) Do you stagger them? Any other advice from Down East?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
We do get lobsters (from Maine) here in Arizona, but they look awfully jet lagged by the time they get here. I had to give up shellfish anyway years ago due to an allergy. :(