Hank-on sail size

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
My furler was damaged while the boat was being taken out at the end of last season. I have had continuous problems with it since owning the boat. There are no good riggers in this area and it is so old that parts are not available. I cannot afford a new furler. I have decided to go with a hank-on head sail. I have owned several boats with hank-on sails and never had a problem.

Can the forum provide dimensions for a hank-on head sail and recommendations of wat would be a good set of working sails? I'm thinking a 110 for most use and a drifter for light air. Heavy weather go with the stay sail and reefed main. Thoughts of more experienced sailors are appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jim.
I'm surprised that you can not find rigger help in St Joseph. Maybe up in Holland.
I think your proposed sailplan will be very serviceable for cruising.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hunter-37
The spec's for the rig are listed on the link. I would also compare the data to your manual or reach out to Hunter for their help with the spec. On my boat there was no hard data available. We pieced together several data statements, then my rider and I measured the original 40 year old stays and the mast. Then we made an educated decision based on the hardware we were going to use. The result has made me very happy.

Nothing wrong with hank on sails. Are you thinking of using a loft to modify your existing sails or are you looking for new sails to be hank-on?

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Sorry to sound crass, but I'm not sure I would delete the furler. I'm sure you could find a replacement for less $$$ than 2 new head sails. If you intended to buy new sails and the furler is an additional cost that causes an over budget, then I would understand.
Cheers
dj

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 37 Cutter St. Joseph, Michigan
I looked for a replacement furler, without success. Also, I'm getting older and simpler is looking better and better. I interviewed several riggers and got the impression that they didn't know much more than I did. And this time of year, they are booked and reluctant to drive when other customers are near their home base. I plan to do this season on used hank-on sails. Alternatively, a friend gave me a headstay that allows me to use my furling jib in a track that is fitted over a replacement stay. I can start saving for a new set of sails for next season. We don't enjoy unlimited resources, so I do almost all of my own work.
I have always been grateful for the advice I get here.
Thanks, Jim

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Simpler is always better, to my way of thinking.

I swapped out a ProFurler for a new Harken 2 years ago. Like the simplicity of the Harken. Very smooth function. It is feasible to DIY a Harken install. Around here the cost of labor for such a project is $750.

I sold the ProFurler online. You might find something out of those Hurricane damaged boats from last year. If you can get a base and a head, then the foil can be acquired fairly easy. The foil comes in pieces anyway and usually is the part that gets damaged

Good luck