Hanging Locker door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 27_75-84 Frankfort IL
For general info: One of the doors on my hanging locker came off the pressed-in hinges last weekend. Tried pressing it back to the hinge, but it wouldn't stay on. Not sure why it came off...might have bumped it the wrong way. Anyway, after some careful examination and trial and error I figured out how the hinge worked and was able to repair the damage, so I thought I'd share in case this happens to someone else.

First of all, you don't want to be working on the door and hinge while it is vertical, unless you have a very steady-handed helper. I discovered that the horizontal arm of the hinge can be removed by pulling on a tab at the back end of the arm. That let me work on the door on the dinette table, horizontally. Also discovered that the "C" shaped cover on the back of the hinge that presses into the door can be flipped up, with a little "persuasion". Underneath I found two small holes that looked like they were for mounting screws, but of course there were none. I used 2 #4 x 5/8" screws for each hinge, and secured the hinges to the back of the door, snapped the hinges back in place, and all was well again. Pretty simple fix, but I am wondering why Catalina didn't consider the possibility that the press fit might not be sufficient to hold the hinge on to the door and simply put in a couple of screws when it was assembled. Oh well.

Ken Reed
# 22 "Duet"
New Buffalo, MI

Status
Not open for further replies.