Handling Heel in a Catalina 22 Swing Keel

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
This
is all true. I have my wife take basic sailing 101 with me no where near that boat / marina / ocean

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Judy B...with your permission, could I please use your excellent write-up in the 2019 Catalina 22 Technical Manual Update...with proper/full credit to you?

Thanks,

Rich Fox
Editor, C22NSA

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Judy B...with your permission, could I please use your excellent write-up in the 2019 Catalina 22 Technical Manual Update...with proper/full credit to you?

Thanks,

Rich Fox
Editor, C22NSA
Hi Rich,

You're welcome to use it. But it could use some editing to eliminate redundancy and remove ambiguity. It's not very polished. Would you be willing to polish it before you publish it?

Judy B

Apr 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Sport #15582 Indianapolis
Hi Rich,

You're welcome to use it. But it could use some editing to eliminate redundancy and remove ambiguity. It's not very polished. Would you be willing to polish it before you publish it?

Judy B
Judy-
Absolutely...glad to "polish" it up! thank you.
-Rich

Nov 16, 2010
Catalina 22 Mactaquac Headpond
I find that in gusty conditions a smaller headsail helps a lot. When the wind gusts with a larger headsail that over laps main, the slot powers up and gives a good heeling moment. The smaller jib mediates the problem. A reefed main will do the same.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Just a thought, quit adjusting the boat and replace the woman.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
My experience with women, while statistically insignificant, is remarkably consistent in these two phenomena:

1) She (meaning any woman that I've had sex with) will not accept instruction from me unless I have amply demonstrated my expertise. In this example, when I have her take the tiller, she will be equally or more nervous, if I have not previously proven that I have 100% control of the boat, 100% of the time. Based on the fact that the boat has heeled while I was steering has already convinced her that: a) I don't know how to control the boat 100%, or b) I do know how to control the boat 100% and I am an a-hole for tipping the boat to the point where she got afraid.

2) She will accept instruction from some random bloke that she had not ever even seen before, even if it is the exact same instruction that she rejected when I offered it. Conversely, everybody (including women) thinks that I am a great teacher, except whichever woman I happen to be romantically involved with. It's not just me; I have noticed this phenomenon in all romantic couples who have passed through my corner of the time-space continuum. I have no idea why it's true; I've just learned to accept it.

The moral of the story is: If you want to have fun sailing with a woman, have other people teach her how to sail.
Man... ditto for teaching to drive! Someone else's car and someone else teaching!! I don't however believe romance plays a real part... just maybe familiarity. You'll understand what I mean if you have a daughter.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Man... ditto for teaching to drive! Someone else's car and someone else teaching!! I don't however believe romance plays a real part... just maybe familiarity. You'll understand what I mean if you have a daughter.
Second that. I'm a firearms expert, but I paid good money for my daughter to take pistol classes elsewhere, because I KNEW she would resist, or disregard altogether, a large percentage of whatever I told her.

"Oh, that's just Dad, what does he know."