Registered users don't see ads

Handholds on Hunter 216

Discussion in 'Smaller Boats' started by Captain Paul, Aug 26, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Captain Paul

Captain Paul

Joined Aug 18, 2009
    3 posts, 0 likes
    2 216
    US Lake Auman
    The cockpit handholds on my 2008 Hunter 216 are turning yellow and cracking at the corners.
    I having trouble removing the old ones to replace them. Anyone have any experience or advice on this?

2. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @Captain Paul
    Take photos and post them sir. There are several of us who can advise.

3. Captain Paul

Captain Paul

Joined Aug 18, 2009
    3 posts, 0 likes
    2 216
    US Lake Auman
    100_2758.JPG 100_2759.JPG 100_2760.JPG 100_2758.JPG 100_2759.JPG 100_2760.JPG
    Here is a photo of the original as installed and two views of a replacement. I have removed the screws and I can't budge the original.

4. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    not hunter supplied or installed. Look on the inside of the boat to see if they are nut and bolted in. If you can take them off and no cracks, use acetone to clean up with but not while installed on boat as it will affect the deck plastic material badly. Report back sir.

5. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,352 posts, 1,214 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    The PO used something more than silicon to waterproof. Was probably worried (reasonable) about the load on the screws.

6. chuckwayne

chuckwayne

Joined Mar 20, 2004
    1,308 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 356 and 216
    US Portland, ME
    the handholds are an off the shelf part (forespar) and Hunter did list them as an option - my 216 has them from the factory and they came right out. I agree with Jackdaw, the PO probably put them in with something much stronger. Get some heavy monofilament and a couple of dowels and make a cable saw, then try sawing around the handle between the hull and the plastic handle. You should be able to cut through whatever he put in - this works on 5200 - and then pry the handle out

7. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Chuckwayne you proved me wrong on the hand holds which were probably installed long after introducing that boat. I learned something today but still suggest he look on the inside to see if there is a backing plate of sorts

8. chuckwayne

chuckwayne

Joined Mar 20, 2004
    1,308 posts, 23 likes
    Hunter 356 and 216
    US Portland, ME
    I would never try to prove you wrong, Dave! things change all the time in this industry...
    Mine were installed with sheet metal screws and what looks like silicone caulk. I know they were factory because the PO gave me a copy of the original order form from Hunter.

9. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,744 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    My friend I never questioned you as you are always right on. Remember, I am an old fart loosing some brain cells daily which is why my nickname is appropriate, Crazy Dave. Just make sure you never pull a crazy dave.

10. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,141 posts, 183 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    He did mention that the screws had been removed....and that the handholds appear bonded to the surrounding surface. The cable saw solution may work. Another might be a multi tool with the scraper blade to get between the two surfaces.

Hunter prop struts and shafts
Everything you need for your power train
Replacement in-deck solar panel
Improved for greater output, this is a drop-in replacement. Trim ring available, too.
Hunter faucets and parts
Replacement fixtures, hoses, sprayers, washers, and more.
Legend-era interior teak oil
Hunter's original interior teak finish on many boats from the 90's and earlier.