Halyard/topping lift sheave replacement choices

KVNJR

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Good morning and Happy Holidays all!
Looking for some advice in helping me choose the style and material for replacing the sheaves for my Main Halyard, Jib halyard, and topping lift. The boat is a 1989 Hunter33.5 with a fractional (3/4 or so) rig. The spar is a Z-spar 400 section as far as I can tell. Z-spar drawings suggest that all of the original sheaves were acetal (Delrin), but Rig-Rite offers sheaves in acetal, aluminum with no bushing, and aluminum with a composite bushing (can't find additional info on composite material). My gut says go with aluminum since, in use, they are not easily accessible for replacement. The sheave axles are 316 stainless. Would you do plain anodized aluminum? Or aluminum with the composite bearing? Or, am I overthinking this, so should stay with acetal? The aluminum sheaves are about 4x the price of acetal, but that's not the decision driver.
Thoughts?
TIA,

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ken. I prefer the Delrin. Long lasting wash out with water. No corrosion. Likely you’ll sell the boat before you need to address again.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
.. Delrin, especially if you unstep mast frequently, otherwise aluminum with bushing..

KVNJR

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thank you both for your comments! Since I try to take the mast down every two years or so for inspections, your argument for the Delrin sheaves makes a lot of sense.
I think that's the direction I'll head.
Cheers!
K