Halyard Measurements

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Does anyone know what the width of a halyard is for a Cherubini Hunter 25 1976?

Your wisdom appreciated, thanks!

Best,
Mark

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark, that would depend on the width of the sheaves in the Mast head. Is your mast up or down?

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
You probably have new sheaves, I believe the original main halyard was a wire/rope setup. Sheaves from 1976 are pretty old. I had a 1981 H25 and I believe we replaced our original wire/rope with a 3/8 or 7/16 halyard. My sheaves were original but on a fresh water boat that wasn't unusual.

Its not too hard to drop the mast and would be a good opportunity to check the mast head lights and sheaves at the same time.

Fair winds,

Victor

Oct 22, 2014
@Plymouth Sailor I was waiting for "Mark" @Saab to respond. I am now guessing the two of you are really one. If such is the case it would be good to ask @Phil Herring to consolidate the two accounts into one.
You pretty much answered the question.
Does anyone know what the width of a halyard is for a Cherubini Hunter 25 1976?
I stand corrected, yes diameter. I believe it’s 5/16s
You can use any size line up to the width of the sheave. Go larger and you will see friction/stoppage/chafe and the sail will not want to come down when you desire it.
You can go smaller than 5/16's say 1/4 (4/16's) and likely not have any issues. Some folks like big line to pull, but on a halyard with the opportunity to use a mast winch or lever the halyard off a cleat going to smaller line means less weight in the air. A good thing for a sail boat.
It is your call because it is your boat.
If you are not happy with what feels like a "Too small halyard" then you can look to put bigger diameter sheaves in the mast head. They may or may not fit. That is a whole different thread.
Best of luck.

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
Yes, sorry, I do have multiple accounts not for the intent of malice but for my forgetfulness! I don't use this site very often (mostly during seasonal prep) so in the past, I've found myself at a loss for my login info, I'm glad to consolidate, thanks! Best,Mark

Oct 22, 2014
No worries. Can tend to get confusing not knowing with whom one is communicating.

Hope you resolved your size question.