Halyard fish strings?

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
My B323 has three unused ports in the starboard side of the mast presumably for halyards such as a spin halyard. There are two strings coming out the bottom two ports then tied together which is puzzling me. Do I presume they go up the mast then over a sheave then down and are tied together?
I want to add a spare halyard but would like to have as idea what is going on before I start untying them!
Any advice would be appreciated, Dan

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Based on the description I think you are spot on. Two low cost ways to tell come to mind.
  1. Splice a larger line on to the string. Run it up the mast and down and see where it comes out and if it does the job. If not you can always run the string back through and wait.
  2. Climb the mast and inspect the string where it comes out.
Don't want to climb the mast, not a favorite of everyone, I think plan "1" should give you enough info. If in doubt break out the binoculars and inspect the mast head to see where the heavier line or string comes out.
You could also hire a rigger to tell you his/her opinion, but where is the fun in that.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If the messenger line does not come down the outside of the mast, it's of no use to you in the deck. Play with them, but be prepared to go up.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Usually, if its a US Spars mast there could be a messenger for the spinnaker halyard which would go to the the sheave directly below the forestay attachment and would exit through the lower slot on the starboard side of the mast. the second messenger would be for the topping lift and would exit through the upper slot on the starboard side of the mast.
If you have a messenger at the base of the mast, it is probably led through the conduit leading to the masthead to pull cables for vhf and other masthead electronics. you could not use that for a halyard.
There may be another messenger from the mast base to a hole in the front of the mast just above the spreaders through the second conduit inside the mast presumably to pull wire for a radar installation.
In any case, you would probably either have to climb the mast, or else drop it to install new lines

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
If the messenger line does not come down the outside of the mast, it's of no use to you in the deck. Play with them, but be prepared to go up.
Exactly what I was thinking. If they are a loop tied at the end, feeding a halyard up them is only useful if you are at the mast head. Oh well, I guess I better get a climber and get over that fear of heights!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
They are probably tied together to make sure neither one goes back up the mast- the same as having halyards have a stopper knot in them. They may be tied together at the top, too.

The messengers are tied off at the masthead.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...the spinnaker halyard which would go to the the sheave directly below the forestay attachment ...
Uummm... Doug, I have a picture of what I think is your mast, and it is like mine. The spin halyard exits ABOVE the forestay. The one below is the jib halyard.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Ron,
I stand corrected.
I was looking at line colors through my living toom window. Forgot that the new mast running rigging colors were reversed. duh!