Hailing Port

Aug 13, 2013
Catalina 42 MKII Rock Hall, MD
Skippers,
Just moved up to an island sized CAT and I have a lot to learn. Most likely will not be taking her out of the Chesapeake for another three years. Can anybody comment on hailing port considerations. Sales tax is pretty much solved, MD purchased, MD stored for now.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you document, pretty much any town in the state you list on your documentation. No need for it to be on the water.

If un-documented, put whatever you want. But having a town in the state where you normally slip might draw less attention from the tax people.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What determines the hailing port?
The hailing port is not restricted to where the owner lives or where the vessel is moored. Under new marking regulations, the hailing port can be any recognized place listed in the U.S. Department of Commerce Publication 55DC. This includes all listed places in the United States or its territories.

We chose the city we live in even though we're land-locked.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Hailing port for state registered (undocumented) boats is more like a bumper sticker - it's nice to start conversations, but has no real effect. I put the city nearest my yacht club for mine because I think it's silly to say I sail our of my inland bedroom community, and putting the actual town the yacht club is in would cause all sorts of confused looks.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If you document, pretty much any town in the state you list on your documentation. No need for it to be on the water.

If un-documented, put whatever you want. But having a town in the state where you normally slip might draw less attention from the tax people.
Would it be considered hijacking to ask what the benefits of documenting are?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Hailing port for state registered (undocumented) boats is more like a bumper sticker - it's nice to start conversations, but has no real effect. I put the city nearest my yacht club for mine because I think it's silly to say I sail our of my inland bedroom community, and putting the actual town the yacht club is in would cause all sorts of confused looks.
Ours is a documented boat and the closest real city. Some documented boats in our club 'hail' from halfway across the country.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I left mine in the city already on the documentation -- I've never lived there - I also left the name - now I don't have to pay for new boat name graphics - work at polishing out where the name/city was -- call me cheap and lazy -

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Would it be considered hijacking to ask what the benefits of documenting are?
We tried to find out when we bought because we had to decide the whether to transfer the process or just un-document it. Never saw any benefits other than perhaps bragging rights and 2 less stickers on the bow. It does cost to renew it.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
To get a private mooring issued in some states (CT is one) the owner must live in the state AND the boat must be registered or documented in the state. Also, in some, like here in RI, buy, register, keep your boat here and no sales or property tax, regardless of where you live.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Forgot to mention last two boats have been documented. Only plus is no state numbers on the bow, still need the state reg sticker (we put on mast) and have to pay the state reg cost.
CG documentation renewal used to be free. Also, around here less likely to be stopped for boarding inspection by CG or state DEM when documented.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have our boat's hailing listed as Casco Bay, ME It's not a city, but it is the best sailing grounds....

Given that you could always list Chesapeake Bay as yours... not the best grounds, but adequate ~~(\_~~