Haggis

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Anyone here familiar with, like Scottish foods, like haggis, meat pies, black pudding, bridies, and so on?

Where do you get them? How do you prepare them?

Is canned haggis any good?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
My mom was Irish and she often served meat pie (pork), pigs feet (French), and blood pudding, which is a sausage. However, I didn't eat it then and would be much less likely to eat any of these things now. Organ meats not good for health reasons.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Vegimite probably isn't as bad for you but must taste just as bad... a friend brought me some condiment packs, like butter paddies back from Australia. The Aussie's really eat that stuff? I couldn't get past the "aroma"...

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've had authentic Icelandic Haggis and it is spit out bad. Unfortunately when I had it, it was served by my host for the weekend, and I had to find a way to swallow it. Just read the ingredients. How good could it be?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Vegimite probably isn't as bad for you but must taste just as bad... a friend brought me some condiment packs, like butter paddies back from Australia. The Aussie's really eat that stuff? I couldn't get past the "aroma"...
I had vegemite in Christchurch, New Zealand. It tasted like a combination of road tar, axle grease and nasty stuff.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I've liked the haggis I've had. I can see where there might be good haggis and bad haggis. Blood pudding is not "awful" either but, not what I'd want all the time. I try never to eat mad cows, they can come back to haunt you. There are pills you can take for cholesterol and fat, just ask your cardiologist. I have never heard of bridies, which means I would love to try some. All I know about vegemite is there's a Men at Work song about it. "Did ya know? It comes from the Land down under."
-Will ("the gourmand connoisseur", Dragonfly)

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Having spent 5+ years on exchange in UK (2 in Scotland), I can confirm that Haggis and blood pudding are acquired tastes!

bletso

Aug 20, 2013
Globe 38 PCB
Rick, Will;

Well most of the cholesterol in your blood is self generated in the liver. The brain uses and needs it. The statins that Americans are so fond of are hard on the liver. That is why they want liver efficiency blood tests. Then there are the side effects of the statins.

But back to the subject. There is nothing wrong with Haggis, nor eating liver, kidneys, sweet breads, brains, tongue, tripe, et al. I like them all but they are neigh impossible to find in the US. For years the AMA has looked down on butter, eggs, and lard, but now well, they may not be as bad as oleo, hydrogenated fats, and all the sugars and salt we eat. The more we concentrate on the tree, the less likely we can see the forest. MODERATION is the key.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like them all but they are neigh impossible to find in the US
My wife worked as a nurse at Manatee Hospital in Bradenton, Fl years ago. She invited a co-worker home for dinner who was a native Florida black woman. When Rosalie started telling us about how good chitlins and sweet bread and brains were, my wife asked her where she got all that stuff. She said, "at the Winn Dixie."
My wife said, "Rosalie, I shop at the Winn Dixie. I've never seen that stuff there. "
Rosalie replied, "you all shop at the White Winn Dixie. Ya gotta shop at the Black Winn Dixie."
True story:whoa:
- Will (Dragonfly)