H44 Mast Height

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Does anyone know with some degree of certainty, the height of a 2005 Selden InMast Furling Mast above the water line? I’ve heard it is between 63 and 65 feet. I’m planning our first ICW trip from CT. for the fall on 2019 and I understand many of the fixed bridges have a 65 foot clearance at high tide. Some may even be a tad lower. It might be pretty close for us allowing for the VHF antenna and wind instruments. I would prefer not to have to worry about heeling the boat to get under a bridge.

ALSO......Any recommendations for an IC W planning guide?

Thanks
Marc

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Marc I believe that your mast is about the same as ours. Ours in 63'10" from the water and with antenna 65'. The readings are for mean high tide so if it is a extra hide tide be careful. We have scraped on a 65' bridge. Scary business!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
When we bought Maxine new we were told by the dealer that the lightship height of the furling mast was about 64 ft NOT including any claptrap like antennas, wind sensors, or burgee staffs. When we are fully loaded out with sails, people, dogs, food, water, dinghy, and all the other stuff we carry I would guestimate that our waterline is about 4 inches higher so we could definitely have an interference fit with a 65 ft bridge.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Marc
Just occurred to me that the yard where you haul pulls the masts for storage. I'm sure you have already thought of this.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Hi Rick,

Yes that’s the plan to measure the mast when it is pulled. I should be able to measure up from the water line to the mast step. From what I am hearing though an ICW trip will be a bit more difficult having to constantly be paying attention to the tides. I also understand some of the tides in Florida are only a few inches and there are several 65 foot bridges.

Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
Marc,

Most bridges have a gage showing the clearance from the current water level to the bottom of the bridge. My 41 measures 65' to the top of the VHF antenna.
In 13 years in SW Florida I have had 2 bad experiences with bridges. I went out of Matanzas Pass (Ft. Myers Beach) at high tide and the antenna hit the girders. No damage. I was going up the ICW to Tampa Bay and at the Ringling bridge going across Sarasota Bay I came to a complete stop before going through. She cleared but it was close.
The bridge at Matanzas Pass, I didn't look at the gage. Poor seamanship on my part. The Sarasota bridge did not have a gage. It is the only bridge I have seen without one.

Butch

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Interesting Butch! We have had the exact same experience. Our last is the same height as yours (65' to the top of the VHF). We scraped that the Matanzas Pass bridge as well. Scary! Bent the bird spike on the windex. I have avoided it ever since. We have passed under the Ringling a number of times. Seems a bit close especially with the lights that hang down beneath it. I just plan to go under when the tide is low.