H42 freezer lid seal

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
I have spend the last few years trying everything to seal the lid of my freezer, but I still get loads of atmospheric moisture sucking into the freezer through the lid and eventually freezing the lid closed after enough ice build up.
Would love to hear from anyone who may have actually succeeded on achieving a proper air tight seal please!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Eian, sorry for your frustration. I left the original seal on our freezer and refrigerator alone, but added the following to both: https://www.amazon.com/Duck-284427-Adhesive-Weatherstrip-16-Inch/dp/B0025KUSXC I applied the weather stripping to the freezer and refrigerator base/rim as opposed to the lid.

That seemed to cure our problem. I will get some frost build up, but it usually takes a full year or more before it is time to defrost. Our freezer needs a defrost, but it has been about two years since the last time I did it.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Terry- thanks for commenting- but do you mean you applied this tape to the base of the freezer- where the lid seals? Did you place it so the factory seals onto this or is it next to the factory seal to provide a second seal?

Dec 25, 2000
Terry- thanks for commenting- but do you mean you applied this tape to the base of the freezer- where the lid seals? Did you place it so the factory seals onto this or is it next to the factory seal to provide a second seal?
Hi Eian, yes to the base of both units, and I placed it so the factory seals onto the new. Before placing the new seal I used a dollar bill to determine where gaps existed between the seal and base. The new tape closed those gaps. Hope this helps.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
SUCCESS!! I applied a soft foam strip- 1" wide by 3/16" thick onto the edge where the factory seal closes. As the width is 1" the overhang folds down into the cabinet and forms a secondary seal for the tapered sides of the lid- I will post some pics later, but after years of fiddling about- its great to have a good effective seal!

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Yes EIANM. Pictures please. "a picture is worth 1000 words".....
I resealed my unit on my H376 too a several years ago, but your description sounds a little different.
thanks. Bob

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
sorry- been away for a week at a boat show- will get pics online later today

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
sorry- been away for a week at a boat show- will get pics online later today
Here is what mine look like:

Photo below shows the original grey stuff installed by Hunter.
ReeferSeal.JPG

A closeup of the grey stuff.
ReeferSeal1.JPG

Big box store quarter inch thick by half inch wide self adhesive foam weather stripping installed on reefer sill.
ReeferSeal2.JPG

ReeferSeal3.JPG

The grey stuff closes down on the weather stripping, which eliminates the small gaps that were evident using a dollar bill test. Did this several years ago and it has greatly reduced the frost buildup and cooling cycles.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
I find the weather stripping works better if you don't cut it to make each side, but instead do it in one long continuous run. You probably will have to disconnect the strut so you can open the lid all the way in order to get both hands in to place it.

Dec 25, 2000
I find the weather stripping works better if you don't cut it to make each side, but instead do it in one long continuous run. You probably will have to disconnect the strut so you can open the lid all the way in order to get both hands in to place it.
Makes sense, Don. Thanks for the tip.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
2017-06-08 11.03.25.jpg
2017-06-08 11.03.15.jpg
Here are 2 pics of my over sized open cell foam seal that folds down into the cabinet

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
fridge front door seal.jpg
fridge front door seal.jpg sorry about my delay- its winter here! I have finally found and fixed my air leak into my freezer- it was the front fridge door- I used the exact same soft open cell foam as recommended by Terry Cox for the original factory seal to seal on ( stuck the foam strip onto the timber where the factory seal contacts) did this about 6 weeks ago and I have virtually no frost build up on my Eutectic plates and I have minus 12C in my freezer- its taken 10 years, but I WON!

Dec 25, 2000
Hi Eian, glad to hear the good news. A simple solution that worked. But those Corona Extras sure had my mouth drooling for a cold one. Got to be beer-30 someplace. :clap: