H42 bomar forward hatch 1991

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Well my forward hatch cracked. 26 years in the sun must have finally had its affect.

I read a prior thread on this topic with some great instructions on the installation

Where can I get new glass?

Bomar 90004248

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
You can get the lens and gasket replaced, IF you can separate the hatch top from the base...I don't think that will happen, as mine was impossible.

http://pompanettellc.com/bomar/
Can give you the current part number, exact replacement for that hatch and Defender carries them, they may have other dealers with a better? price.

Get some butyl tape from MaineSail, here on the forum and the hatch comes with directions. I waited for a hot day and pushed wedges under the 20+ year old hatch and deck which gradually raised the hatch, with out beating and scratching and so on.

Pretty straightforward to install the new one.

bests

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
You replaced the entire unit? How is it connected to the deck? I took a quick look this morning and it did not look obvious.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Hi Keith,
I also have a 1991 Passage 42, and I just did my forward hatch lens replacement in February. I didn't remove the hatch frame or the hatch frame lid. I just removed the lens itself, which a plexiglass window store used as a template to cut a new one for me. This website sells the gasket for this hatch, which is of a type that fits between the lens and the hatch lid. (You have to install the gasket before sealing the lens in place). Then apply the Dow 795, drop the lens into place, and you're done. The job went pretty easy. Good luck.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
You replaced the entire unit? How is it connected to the deck? I took a quick look this morning and it did not look obvious.
a few screws, wait for a hot day, and wedge the frame out of the bedding. Reverse the process to install - once you have cleaned things up.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Keith,
I also have a 1991 Passage 42, and I just did my forward hatch lens replacement in February. I didn't remove the hatch frame or the hatch frame lid. I just removed the lens itself, which a plexiglass window store used as a template to cut a new one for me. This website sells the gasket for this hatch, which is of a type that fits between the lens and the hatch lid. (You have to install the gasket before sealing the lens in place). Then apply the Dow 795, drop the lens into place, and you're done. The job went pretty easy. Good luck.
Hi Paul, your idea to just replace the lens part is my plan, too. Forward hatch still okay. The Lewmar units in the aft cabin for sure. Main cabin a different story. There I need to remove the entire port light. Still debating whether to replace the Bomar center port lights. Another P42 owner did not replace the center port light. His project turned out pretty nice.

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Hi Paul, your idea to just replace the lens part is my plan, too. Forward hatch still okay. The Lewmar units in the aft cabin for sure. Main cabin a different story. There I need to remove the entire port light. Still debating whether to replace the Bomar center port lights. Another P42 owner did not replace the center port light. His project turned out pretty nice.
Hi Terry,
Long ago one of my Bomar main cabin port lights broke at a hinge and needed to be replaced. It was a pretty easy remove-and-replace job. I've also seen the replacement of the plexiglass "window" without the port light replacement, and it does look good. We use ours for ventilation though, and I'd be loathe to lose that cross-ventilation ability.