H41 holding tank sending unit. Very eratic

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Hello Skippers
The WEMA sending unit in the holding tank has become erratic and I want to get a replacement . When the existing one freezes up I can tap on the unit and it comers back to life for a brief period. I am going to pull it out and clean it up which should fix the problem for a minute, if not I want a replacement on hand to install if necessary while I am inside... don't want to do this twice. Boat is a 08 H41DS. The sender is the SHST model. Does anyone know the length? It goes from 4" to 30"+, ..there is a 12 stamped on the sending unit, does that mean that the sensor is 12" long?
Thanks in advance

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I can't help you with the length,but I am watching this intently as ours is flaky as well. I can suggest to pull it, fashion a temporary cover piece, measure, order and then replace which is a sure way to get it right. Then let me know which one you ordered........

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The problem is common with all holding tank monitors that use senders inside the tank. Waste is full of animal fats that clog 'em, making it necessary to remove the sending unit and clean it by hand with detergent. If you don't want to do that every year or two, replace it with a tank level monitor that uses senders which go on the outside of the tank. The Profile System is the best. The "solo" (single tank version) is not expensive. Profile Tank Monitors

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thanks Peggy for the info sounds like a great direction to head........:yeah: or is that which direction for the head goes.......?

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
On my 2007 41DS sending unit for holding tank not required. When the floor above the holding tank rises, it's time to pump out.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I do hope you aren't serious! If you are, neverneverneverEVER allow the tank vent to become blocked!
Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Someone here has replaced their tank sensor? All H41's from 2004 till now! BTW, this pump is $199 plus tax at WM and $119 delivered from Defender. Someone tell me there will be no surprises. Does the white sanitation hose need to be heated up to make it workable?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Someone here has replaced their tank sensor? All H41's from 2004 till now! BTW, this pump is $199 plus tax at WM and $119 delivered from Defender. Someone tell me there will be no surprises. Does the white sanitation hose need to be heated up to make it workable?
Yes it will make your life much easier both removing and installing!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Hello Skippers
The WEMA sending unit in the holding tank has become erratic and I want to get a replacement . When the existing one freezes up I can tap on the unit and it comers back to life for a brief period. I am going to pull it out and clean it up which should fix the problem for a minute, if not I want a replacement on hand to install if necessary while I am inside... don't want to do this twice. Boat is a 08 H41DS. The sender is the SHST model. Does anyone know the length? It goes from 4" to 30"+, ..there is a 12 stamped on the sending unit, does that mean that the sensor is 12" long?
Thanks in advance
Dakno, these are not internal units. They are sensing tape on the outside of the tank. The OEM manufacturer has since gone out of business but you can buy a replacement unit from Ferriello Sales 435 656-0042. (www.ferriellosales.com). He worked for the original company and sells replacement units.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Peggy, I am serious. And the vent line is not blocked. It has happened, but not planned. My boat was at a Marina in FL with a friend staying aboard. Boat was unable to be pumped. When I arrived the floor had very visible risen over the holding tank. Problem was solved with a pump out.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I don't like removing the sensor
Too easy to have a small air leak afterwards
Even a pinhole will stink up your boat.
I empty the tank, and then run 3 tankfulks of very hot water & dish soap through it.
Seems to do the trick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
If you contact WEMA at info@wemausa.com and give them the numbers or information that are stamped on the top of the unit, they can give you the information you need for the correct replacement. I found them to be very helpful.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The OEM manufacturer has since gone out of business but you can buy a replacement unit from Ferriello Sales 435 656-0042. (www.ferriellosales.com). He worked for the original company and sells replacement units.
You're almost right, but not quite. I've known Dennis Ferriello for 20 years. He was the national sales manager for Snake River Electronics (installed by Hunter). He became so unhappy with the deteriorating quality of SRE's products that he didn't feel he could sell them any longer and left--taking their engineer with him--to design and build a greatly improved system...so much improved that he put Snake River out of business by capturing all their OEM customers. His Profile gauges are not identical replacements for the SRE systems, they're compatible with them...which means, if wiring and the panel for SRE system are still ok, you can replace just the senders. However, the Profile systems are NOT compatible with WEMA wiring, but they are compatible with Sealand TankWatch wiring.

Dennis also provides the best customer service/tech support in the marine industry...the only person I've ever known who'll answer the phone on a Sunday to help a boat owner who has questions while installing a system. He's also been known to show up here to answer questions when I've asked him to.

The SCAD tank level monitors--top rated by Practical Sailor--are private label version of the Profile systems. One of the reasons PS was so impressed with the SCAD systems was their outstanding customer service/tech support...not knowing that the tech support phone # for 'em went to Dennis. You can buy direct from him at a good bit lower price than SCAD.

So spend a little time on the Ferriello Sales website and then give Dennis call to get all your questions answered and buy what you need.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Nodak7, there is a screw on cap approximately 1.5 " on the top of the tank. The sensor is attached to or made into this cap. If you look at the WEMA website it shows a perforated cylinder of different lengths, 4",8" ,12'', etc. It appears that the length of the cylinder needed depends on how deep the tank is.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
AR , You fill your holding tank with very hot water and dish soap?...3x ? On my boat that would be 90 gallons, more on your boat..and then pumpout via the macerator? Where does all the hot water come from?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
AR , You fill your holding tank with very hot water and dish soap?...3x ? On my boat that would be 90 gallons, more on your boat..and then pumpout via the macerator? Where does all the hot water come from?
I think in another thread, Peggy said to ADD 1/3 tank. THE WATER HAS TO BE ABLE TO SLOSH AROUND LIKE AN AGETATOR WASHING MACHONE DOES.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Nope...never said that. You're confusing just rinsing the sludge out of the bottom of the tank every 2-3 months with cleaning the animal fat buildup off the walls of the tank, which shouldn't be necessary more often than every couple of years.. But I never mentioned using hot water or dishwashing liquid for that either.
Peggie