H41 autopilot attachment

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Hi to all h41 owners, my autopilot is attached to a big wood panel that is crunching all the time, nothing is moving but the sound is like something is going to break. do you have the same sound or problem?

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
My autopilot pulled completely loose from that panel a few years ago. I made an oversize aluminum backing plate and remounted it and it has been solid since. It should have been designed that way from the factory

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
They forgot to put on the Stainless backer plate and my AP tore out of the back wall. This is how I repaired it. Mind you this was in the middle of the repair.
IMG_0429.jpg

I used the original backer plate which I found lying on top of the aft Air Conditioner box to spread out the weight in the aft port lazarette, it's on the other side of the fiberglass with the 4 bolts coming down through it. Because of the bracket I did have to change the location of the base slightly and it was easier to drill 4 new holes than to trim the top edge of the bracket closest to the AP actuator. I measured and cut and had a competent welder take care of the final assembly. It is through bolted on both the side and aft walls and also to the bottom of the aft port seat lazarette. It is bolted and 5200 adhered. Holds a much nicer course than I ever experienced. The AP works a lot less than it used to. I guess it took a while to loosen by rounding the holes in the particle board aft bulkhead. So much for quality builds.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Valerie
Perhaps a picture would help to clarify your point. If the outside on both sides is sound and you are hearing a crunching sound perhaps the problem is with looseness between fiberglass skins.

I assume you are identifying a Linear or hydraulic AP attached to your rudder post.
Could the rudder post be affected?

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
They forgot to put on the Stainless backer plate and my AP tore out of the back wall. This is how I repaired it. Mind you this was in the middle of the repair. View attachment 160596
I used the original backer plate which I found lying on top of the aft Air Conditioner box to spread out the weight in the aft port lazarette, it's on the other side of the fiberglass with the 4 bolts coming down through it. Because of the bracket I did have to change the location of the base slightly and it was easier to drill 4 new holes than to trim the top edge of the bracket closest to the AP actuator. I measured and cut and had a competent welder take care of the final assembly. It is through bolted on both the side and aft walls and also to the bottom of the aft port seat lazarette. It is bolted and 5200 adhered. Holds a much nicer course than I ever experienced. The AP works a lot less than it used to. I guess it took a while to loosen by rounding the holes in the particle board aft bulkhead. So much for quality builds.

uncledom, what year is your 41?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Valerie
Perhaps a picture would help to clarify your point. If the outside on both sides is sound and you are hearing a crunching sound perhaps the problem is with looseness between fiberglass skins.

I assume you are identifying a Linear or hydraulic AP attached to your rudder post.
Could the rudder post be affected?
My autopilot is attached by 4 screw to the triplay that separate the cabin with the stern closet, i do not feel any movement but the squelching sound is horrible.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Sitting at the dock, engage the auto pilot to the current heading and then see if there is "play" in the wheel. You should not be able to budge the steering wheel even with moderate pressure. Of course if you gorilla it you can override the actuator but I'm sure you will feel what I'm talking about. If you send someone below you will see the base plate shift as you put pressure on the wheel. If there's no movement perhaps your actuator is going bad?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Sitting at the dock, engage the auto pilot to the current heading and then see if there is "play" in the wheel. You should not be able to budge the steering wheel even with moderate pressure. Of course if you gorilla it you can override the actuator but I'm sure you will feel what I'm talking about. If you send someone below you will see the base plate shift as you put pressure on the wheel. If there's no movement perhaps your actuator is going bad?
There is no play and nothing more than a sound from the wood panel were is attached, but that noise if unatended can become a broken panel, i will reinforce like you did.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
VA - You have a 04 H41ac? Thats the new one and same as my 08, I will absolutely be checking that when I get back to the boat. My helm is a bear to handle under power, huge torque steer. What are the access points?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
VA - You have a 04 H41ac? Thats the new one and same as my 08, I will absolutely be checking that when I get back to the boat. My helm is a bear to handle under power, huge torque steer. What are the access points?
My helm under normal circustances is very light to move, depends on the speed under sail it will become more hard to turn, under power there is no pressure. The autopilot is accesible by the rear bunk please read the treads.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I think you should check where the linear drive bolts to the wall or bulk head once in a while to
make sure all is OK and also under the floor in the cockpit just to check the bolted parts of the rack and pinion steering because some on this forum had there come loose.
I am installing below deck auto just like the H-41.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have some aluminum flat plate that I will be using on the bulkhead wall on my 2007 H-36.

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
i think that the union between the autopilot and the bulk head MUST need a plate to reinforce the wood panel has whit time the holes on the wood will become bigger, and the actuator will eventually become loose.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I just replaced the drive unit on my Raymarine AP. Plywood mounting was solid so we did not modify at this time but I think its a good idea and will do so in the future.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
PS, have any of you had to replace the linear drive unit in your Raymarine?

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
We just replaced the RayMarine type 1 linear drive unit. When I went in to inspect the attach points on my drive unit because of prior post concerning unit pulling out alas attach points were fine but all fluid had blown out.