h40.5 Throttle/Shift cable replacement

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a 1997 h40.5 with the Morse MV-2 single lever control for throttle and transmission. The control has operated stiffly for many years and I am thinking that this Spring may be the time to change out the cables.
Has anyone changed the cables on a h40.5?
I am trying to determine:
(1) how the cables are routed?
(2) how horrible a job this will be? What is the procedure?
(3) what is the length of the cables needed?
(4) does anyone have the model/part number of the two cables?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It's been a while but I recall it wasn't an onerous job Rich. Two retaining clips, one in the pedestal, are easily accessible. I just pulled the cable and took it to WM to match it. The only 'trick' being to remove the plate in the aft berth overhead to facilitate bending toward the engine.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995 - 40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, NB, Canada
Rich, Don't they sell the cables through the Owners Association on this site?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Rich, Don't they sell the cables through the Owners Association on this site?
Yes they do. And that is likely to be my source. But I always like to confirm the right length, size, etc before buying. And most importantly I want to know how these are routed and the difficulty of replacement.

Jul 19, 2007
I've checked on mine, well partially at least and I don't think it should be too difficult. I'm looking at replacing the entire unit with the new one on the website so I hope to get some good advice from you as to routing if you get to yours before I get to mine. BTW had to get the traveller taken off hood at a machine shop. Had to drill the heads off all the bolts and take the traveller off what was left. Stainless bolts into an imbedded aluminum plate meant seized bolts.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I won't get to my cables until Spring. Bummer about the traveler and sea hood. Why did you need to take it off?

Jul 19, 2007
The sea hood had to come off because a large crack in the starboard forward corner has allowed the core to become completely saturated. It is a solid one piece in place of your two piece newer model. I don't know what the newly placed dry balsa core would have weighed, but I saved all the saturated core and weighed it when I had finished removing it all with a Dremel power scraper and a hand scraper. It all weighed just under 50 lbs. I wanted the traveller off so that I could block up the hood in a level position as I was installing the new foam core the way you demonstrated. I'm making some short videos as I move through the project that I hope to post.

The bolts were all seized in place do to a reaction between the stainless phillips head bolts and the embedded aluminum exposed to the salt air. Replacing all the bolts on the traveller with hex head stainless bolts with a bit of Never Seize on the threads before I reseat them.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a 1997 h40.5 with the Morse MV-2 single lever control for throttle and transmission. The control has operated stiffly for many years and I am thinking that this Spring may be the time to change out the cables.
Has anyone changed the cables on a h40.5?
I am trying to determine:
(1) how the cables are routed?
(2) how horrible a job this will be? What is the procedure?
(3) what is the length of the cables needed?
(4) does anyone have the model/part number of the two cables?
Before doing that, I'd try to run white silicone grease down the whole cable. It might be all it needs. It worked for me.
You need to pack a little bit of the great in the cable at the upper end. Then, use compressed air to keep blowing it down. Also, move the cable back & forth whike you do it.
Worth a try