H40.5 Owners ALERT: This could sink you

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a 1997 h40.5 and I suspect that this factory practice will be found in all of the other 40.5's as well as many if not all of the other Hunter big boats.
The double galley sinks are joined with a connector and then a single corrugated hose runs to the seacock that is located under the small access cover directly under the sinks. This corrugated hose is not intended for below-waterline use. I am pretty sure of this. This factory practice was not picked up at my 10 year survey so it was not on my radar.
This past weekend, after I closed this seacock preparing to leave the boat, I noticed a small squirting stream of water coming from the hose at the seacock. As I touched the hose, it came off the seacock in my hand. It turned out that the water stream was from the standing water in the hose that rises to the sinks. The seacock was not leaking at all. This corrugated hose connects to a right-angle adapter by screwing onto the hose and then the adapter was pushed onto a short nipple that was threaded into the seacock. It was hard to see, but I think the nipple was just that- a plain threaded nipple as opposed to a hose barb. It was double clamped, but this setup is wrong for a number of reasons. Wrong kind of hose/adapter and no hose barb that would grip the hose after clamping.
Since this seacock, as well as all of my seacocks, is left open when we are using the boat, this presents a sinking hazard. I think the two head sinks have the same setup. I will be changing all of them before the boat goes back into the water next spring.
I must admit that I am surprised that Hunter would use this hose for this application. Every other hose on the other seacocks is a reinforced below-waterline rated hose with hose barbs used.
So check your hoses and if you have this same setup, please close your seacocks when not in use and don't leave your boat unattended with them open. And change out these hoses.
Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I will take some when I return to finish my winterization and I will update this thread.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have that same type of hose on my galley sinks but mine drain above the water line. Thanks for the info anyways... I could see it causing a mess if I 'm heeled over and the hose is cracked. It is something for me to look at in the least....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Was common practice, I think.. Attached is what it looks like on my '85 H-34.. The other thing that can do ya is the attachment ring under the sink, where the drain manifold attaches to the sink. These can rust clear and drop the whole manifold below water level, sinking the boat.. I secured my manifolds (sink and head basin) to the underside of cabinet so they can't fall below water level.
P1000515.JPG P1000514.JPG

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
While it is customary to install the head sink drain above the waterline the galley sink drains are usually installed below for a simple reason; we wouldn't want the stuff going down the drain to be getting spit out the topsides. It would be a gross stain of perhaps cooking oil, tomato sauce, and milk.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
While it is customary to install the head sink drain above the waterline the galley sink drains are usually installed below for a simple reason; we wouldn't want the stuff going down the drain to be getting spit out the topsides. It would be a gross stain of perhaps cooking oil, tomato sauce, and milk.
You are correct Benny, but one of my head sinks is drained to a seacock below waterline and the other drains above waterline. So it varies.
EDITED 5/14/17: I was wrong- both of my head sinks drain to below the water line. One is about an inch below and the other is 8" or so.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You ain't so special :biggrin:.

It looks as if they used this poor quality hose on ALL sized Hunters including our 1999 H-310. I got around to replacing this hose and fittings several years after buying the boat new. I wasn't that savvy about hoses at the time but knew that it just didn't look good compared to the heavy quality of other hoses on the boat. Also given the fact that this was the largest diameter hose to thru-hull on the boat, better safe than sorry.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Apparently, neither one of them is special enough to need the extra room provided for by the urinal on the far left.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Thanks for the tip, Rich. Our 1991 P42 has that same type drain hose for our galley sink and it is also below the waterline. So far so good, but I do make it a point to close the through hull when left unattended.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Nice catch. Makes you wonder about all your trips and storm preps.

All U Get

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Gee, thanks, Rich. Another project... :eek:

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Same hose on the 260 - one sink to above waterline and one to below. I've taken up the habit of closing both valves unless we are aboard and at anchor or a dock.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Rich, thanks for highlighting this. I'm sure mine is similar corrugated hose. I'll have to check/replace. :D

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I have a 1997 h40.5 and I suspect that this factory practice will be found in all of the other 40.5's as well as many if not all of the other Hunter big boats.
A corrugated hose was also used on the 2012 Hunter 33. A plastic elbow fitting (non Forespar Marelon) was used on that same, below the waterline, thru hull.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Thanks Rich
It looks the same on our 1989 Hunter 30. Now I've got to go have a look.
Ken

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I chased the source of water in the bilge for several months and finally pinpointed it down to a leak in the water intake hose for the head. Only the leak in the hose was up under the floorboards and out of sight. It was a below waterline approved hose but had rubbed against a rough edge of fibreglass. Just another good case to close the thru-hulls when not on the boat.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
I wonder how many Hunters have gone to the bottom due to this hose. You would think Hunter would have fixed it if there was a history of failure. I reck'n the bilge pump kept up with the leaks ;)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
On my h40.5 the hose is a good 1", maybe 1.25". It is the largest thru-hull on the boat. I have no bilge pump that will keep up with that. I can buy some time but that is about it.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Thanks Rich. I'll check into that if my boat survives Hurricane Mathew in the next few days. I always close the sea cocks (all of them, including the one under the galley sink) when I leave the boat. I double checked that before I secured the boat on the mooring for this coming event. We'll see what happens in a few days then I'll get on replacing those hoses, if there is a boat to check!

Dan