H376 Fuel leak to bilge & Removal of aft cabin stbd bulkhead/wall??

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
Plz, I have fuel seepage into bilge of H376. 1. Do these "plastic" fuel tanks leak?? 2. How to remove aft cabin, stbd wall/bulkhead to access fuel tank? Can it slide out when all screws removed?? Took off aft cabin shelf & removed all screws that I could see at base of wall, but could not move wall !! (??) Thanx Much for any help. Fair Winds.... John Murphy

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Suspect the hoses first.. especially the vent hose.. but yes, the plastic tanks do sometimes leak.. but leaks around them are "normally" hoses or fittings like access ports, fuel gauge ports, any thru-wall penetration.. I am not familiar with tank access on that model, so can't comment on removal.. Good luck..
Oh.. Welcome to the forum !

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
Kloudie1, Thanx Much for your timely reply. I tightened all hose clamps and could not see any leakage, BUT still got some seepage motoring the next day. I cleaned-up from tank to bilge and closed fuel line stopcock. A day later, w/o running engine there was no seepage. ??: 1. If leak in tank, wouldn't it keep seeping even w/ engine off? 2. Did closing stopcock prevent leakage? 3. Does running engine build-up pressure in tank(?) and therefore cause hose/fitting to leak? I'm going to try to wrap absorbent towel around each fitting to see if I can find source. Many Thanx to You & any other Forum Folk who can help w/ the diagnosos. Fair Winds....Murph

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
powdered talc spread around will show leaks and trails. If you can not see it well, you can use builders chalk, the blue stuff in chalk lines.

Leaks only when running? I would check the return lines and fittings. The leak should continue regardless of engine running, if the leak is lower than the fuel level or hose fitting level.

Vents should be checked for clear air flow as well.

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
KD3PC, THANX. All ideas are excellent. This area apparently has "mud wasps". So, I'll check to see if vents are plugged. The talc idea is genius !! I use a flashlight to see a shiny surface (diesel trail) vs. a dull one, can be difficult to see. Many Thanx. Fair Winds..... Murph

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The hoses themselves will sometimes crack ... usually in a place that you can't see well... My return line from the engine had cracked a ways from any fitting .. It would drool only when engine was running.. Good to double check the vent and vent hose as well .. as KD3 notes.. Good luck.. It is amazing how much stink can come from so little fuel.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
Can you see if there's fuel under or inthe fuel tank area? I would assume the stink would be strongest back there in the access area of the tank was leaking. I agree with the others, check your fuel lines and connections, filter, etc.
Also check the fuel gauge float gasket on top of the tank. Might be sloshing up through there while out.
Good Luck.

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
kloudie1 & rfrye1, Thanx again. I've checked all hoses for cracks from engine back to tank. I believe it is an ill-fitting hose connection. RF, I did have leaking through top of sender one time when I had my tank cleaned by a "Pro???" who did not completely tighten top screws !! Also, just learned he didn't replace gasket with new one.(???) For what he charged, it should have been a GOLD Gasket !! SOOOO, 1. I'm wrapping all fittings and covering sender top w/ absorbent cloth, same wrap around hoses leading to/fro tank, running engine, checking for leaks. Want to find source of problem. 2. Removing some diesel from tank. 3. Then,. replacing sender gasket. K1, you're sooo correct @ how little amt. can smell sooo much. When I sucked-out bilge into gallon jug, there was only @ 1/2 to 1 pint of diesel floating at top of a gallon of water !! Do you know of any deodorizers to ameliorate the residual smell? I've sprayed w/ Green Cleaner which has helped. Kanberra, which was suggested by a local, is for mold, etc. Don't know if it will work??? THANX to Y'all for Your input. All the Best. Fair Winds.....MURPH

Jul 26, 2017
Hunter H376 Kent Is., MD
jssailem, Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanx for your input. Where is best place to from which to get Pure Ayre? I love the San Juans. Many Thanx. Fair Winds.... MURPH

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Marie. I would check out Amazon. You can also buy it from their website. Think they are offering a 10% discount currently. San Juans are fun. Will be there end of next week for a few days.