H36 aft cabin light failure.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I am the original owner of a 2009 H36. The overhead light fixture in the aft cabin that is just aft of the engine compartment no longer has power. I am trying to troubleshoot the problem. After I tested the the fixture, I found no power in the supplying wires. Breaker is closed, all other DC supply to that cabin works fine. So now I need to trace backwards. The wires run aft under the header, if my sense of touch is right, but after they get to the forward edge of the plastic protector under the pedestal, I lose them.
Does anyone know where these wires terminate? I am assuming that there is a bus under the swim step, but I cannot find it. Where should I look?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Is there 12 V on both sides of circuit breaker? If so use a test bulb and see if it lights up when connected to either side of the breaker. The presence of 12v does not indicate healthy breaker.
Also test the negative side of your light by using a different ground and positive side of your light.

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
If it's like my boat there isn't any terminal block, the wires just run in a loop to the lights and is run between the liner and deck. All the ones I've pulled there light was crimped to the light wires right at the light

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’m guessing that Hunter was smart about it and put all of the lights in parallel. That way if one goes out the others keep working.
That appears to be the case with your lights. There fore the most likely spot to check is the light fixture. Something is more likely out there not in the wires. Open up the fixture and see if you have any corrosion. If all looks good look to the light bulb. Let us know what you find.