H356 coupling question

• Thread starter Former member 134612
  • Start date
F

Former member 134612

Anyone here know the size of the hidden nut on the inboard end of the driveshaft that holds the shaft coupling onto the driveshaft? Thanks!

F

Former member 134612

Doesn't the driveshaft "turn"?
Only when in gear :)

There is a nut that prevents the shaft from reversing out of the boat by stopping it against the inboard side of the shaft coupling. Most other systems rely on a pair of set screws to achieve this. The 356 uses set screws and this nut.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you put the engine in "neutral" with the engine off, can't you turn the shaft and expose the "nut"?

If you cycle the engine in drive randomly, won't the nut be exposed when it stops?

The coupling has to turn with the shaft? Or am I not understanding?

F

Former member 134612

If you put the engine in "neutral" with the engine off, can't you turn the shaft and expose the "nut"?

If you cycle the engine in drive randomly, won't the nut be exposed when it stops?

The coupling has to turn with the shaft? Or am I not understanding?
With all due respect, I dont think you can help me. The nut is on the END of the shaft, not the side. I dont think I'd have asked the question if the nut was visible.

F

Former member 134612

Was my caption misleading or did coupling have a different connotation for you?
Thanks. I couldn't find anything related to the driveshaft, but I do appreciate your effort.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
yeah, the nut's on the inside of the coupling - you can't see it. I don't remember the size and all my notes are up in Maine. If I'm up there this weekend (depends on the storm/snow) I'll try to check and see if I wrote it down

F

Former member 134612

yeah, the nut's on the inside of the coupling - you can't see it. I don't remember the size and all my notes are up in Maine. If I'm up there this weekend (depends on the storm/snow) I'll try to check and see if I wrote it down
Thanks Chuck. I also dont have access to my boat until January.