H34 & WM BOGO Lewmar Again!

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
WM is offering BOGO on Lewmar winches again this Thursday through Sunday. This is the 3rd year in a row that I have started to salivate and will definitely buy a pair or two this time. Just need a bit of help.

While I know I kind of asked this question before, let me be a bit more direct.
Has anyone replaced the winches with Lewmar ones? If so, which model did you purchase for your H34?

Which model do you recommend to replace all 4 winches on the H34?

Thanks Jon

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
My PO raced the boat some and had added Lewmar 43 winches ('87 timeframe) for the spin and genny sheets. The original Maxwells are still in place with the Lewmars. The cabin top winches are the original Maxwells. I don't have the capacity data on the #43's but they are self tailing two speed winches. From the current literature, it seems that either a 40 or 45 would be appropriate. I rarely use the old Maxwells as the Lewmars are smoother and have a better low gear.
https://www.lewmar.com/Winch-Selection-Guide
DSC00005.JPG

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
As always, thank you Claude... Picture really helps, quick question... is the forward port winch accessible from the aft cabin? Is the access easy? Thanks.. Jon

Nov 6, 2006
There are 6" access ports cut into the liner under the winches.. Thought I had pictures but they are the ones where the cover does a 1/4 turn twist off..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I would love to upgrade to electric winches are electric winches included,a few years ago
a friend added2 electric winches on his Catalina with a bogo sale at WM.
Nick

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I replaced the jib sheet winches with Lewmar ST 46's and I replaced the cabin top winches with Lewmar 40's. The 40's are a bit much but they are good for use with a spinnaker when needed. The replacement of the winches is the single best improvement that I have made. The Maxwells are crap.

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I would love to upgrade to electric winches are electric winches included,a few years ago a friend added2 electric winches on his Catalina with a bogo sale at WM.
Nick
Hi Nick...
The ad showed electric ones... so I assume that the answer is yes..... Will you replace or add to the existing ones? -Jon

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I like Claude's set up with 6 winches.....
Claude... Do you have two deck plates in the aft cabin now?

I agree with Mark! 40's on the cabin top do seem a bit big....
Mark... Did you have any problems with the base being too large in diameter?

Last edited:

PGIJon

Mar 3, 2012
Hunter 34 Punta Gorda
I'm thinking about 30's or 40's Aft and 16's or 30's on the cabin top.... would the 30 and/or the 16 be too small? -Jon

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Yup, One plate under each winch on port side..
EDIT: The old Maxwells on the cabin top have a nylon main bushing which absorbs water, swells, and acts like a brake on the winch input shaft.. the drum still works freely but they get hard to turn with a handle.. I have pulled the bushing a couple of times and reamed them out to get 'em working again.. I think one day they'll stop swelling.. I mean it has only been 32 years..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I sure am thinking about replacing my Jib winches at the helm with electric and will
go down to my boat and check things for fit.
Also will be talking to friends on my canal and PGSC members for advice when they got the same BOGO
deal and info with the install.
Nick

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
@seadaddler some Lewmars are conversion ready to electric. No need to repurchase the winch just need the motor. I unfortunately don’t know if it’s obvious aside from a sticker that has a habit of falling off.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Well a friend did get electric winches last time WM had the bogo
sale and not sure which way he went.
I will be contacting this friend and will check with WM what is available and which way to go.
Nick

Nov 6, 2006
From the Lewmar website, the wording tends to say that the electric drive kits are for EVO models only.. Might be worth a call to see what models the kit might actually drive.
I don't think the WM sale would extend to the drive upgrade kits, but that might be worth a call too..
https://www.lewmar.com/node/12091

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The sale is from the 15 to 25 of this month and will be stopping
By my 2 WM stores for more info and Lewmar site.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Here is a nother option and if there is a problem fitting the electric
winches at the helm.
I know some have the winch rite which I think got some not all good reviews and some one with a 356 who got the makitada right
angle portable drill could be used on all 4 of my winches.
Has any body used either one.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes your are right PG and do that all the time lately don’t read all the info,I got a circular
and some stuff on sale from 15 to 25 but the winches only 4 days .
I guess need to work fast to see if they will fit at my helm winches.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I stop by WM in PC today and talked to them about the sale can the whole new 40st winch
for 2600.00 plus tax.
I will be going by a friend in PG who made the change and will see what they look
like under with the size of the motor and than hopefully can see how much room
I have for the motor below under the winch.
I want to check and see if my outhaul starboard cabin top and furling port cabin top lines
will reach these winches and even maybe for the pull up of my dinghy on the motor side.
My 110 jib is not that much work winching in and want the winches to be able to do it all.
Nick