H34 Windlass Installation - Recommendations?

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;
Would like to install a (Lewmar?) anchor winch on my fore deck.
From what I've read, it seems a horizontal winch would work best. Now I'm pondering the installation. Has anyone done this? Have you installed it on the locker cover? Any pics that you've taken of the installation?
Thanks. Ilan

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
I installed one on my Bene 361 last year. Beneteau pre-builds a reinforced location for a windless so the location was predetermined which was just behind the locker cover. Once thing to think about is that unless you are replacing your chain you have to get a windless that has a gypsy that fits your chain. The two hardest part for me was dealing with running the two double 0 cable from the battery to the front of the boat, and drilling a 2.5 inch hole through my deck. Well actually it's was three holes since you need two 2 inch holes for the foot control. I can send you pictures, but it might be helpful since I don't have a Hunter. It's all do-able just plan everything out, and be sure you are good with the location before cutting holes. Also plan you cable pull. Again Beneteau has a wire chase along the port side that was kind of easy to access. I started in the middle of the boat and pulled half the cable forward and the other half aft. I did all the work by myself.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
This has been done but it is no small task. The anchor situation was a bit of an afterthought with the H34. You need a place to mount the windlass and then a place for the chain to drop into. Then you need a good anchor roller. The H34 has none of these things. There are threads on the subject in the forum.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Claude Auger installed one on his 34 .. he posted some pictures of the job including the chainfall and mounts for the windlass.. As Mark says, not a job for the faint hearted!