H34 - Refrigeration Retro-Kit

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
I'm looking at outfitting the H34 with a refrigeration kit for the icebox. I've narrowed it down to the Isotherm 3751-ASU-SP or the Isotherm 2551-SP. Both are water cooled and utilize their proprietary thru-hull which doesn't need a water pump. I will be able to install the thru-hull when hauled out next month. The difference in the two is the ASU has a "smart computer" which will ramp up the cooling [amp draw] when the batteries are being charged [engine running / solar / or, charger] and will hold that extra cold when you're running off batteries alone. I think it's a bit overkill and could cause problems down the way... I like the simple T-stat approach - - as it's easily diagnosed. Plus, the simple one is $400 less!!

I digress... My question is this: I will either mount the compressor directly to Starboard of the Sink or "possibly" behind the trash can in that little void. Because it's water-cooled, I will not be putting much heat into the cabin. Q: What is the best [simple and/or long-lasting] approach to get 12v from the Panel to the Unit?

Thanks, Shannon

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I did a similar conversion with the air cooled compressor. ( I live in a cooler climate). I ran the wire back behind the galley directly to the battery. I did not run it through a switch on the panel. My fridge stays on all the time and you cannot turn it off by turning off the DC at the panel. You have to turn it off at the switch inside the fridge. I did this because I knew it would get turned off all the time by accident otherwise.

Jan 5, 2018
Mark, that would certainly make the install easier. I realize that is a possibility, but wanted to run it through the panel, if not too much trouble. Thanks, Shannon

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
When I installed the air conditioner in the settee just forward of the sink, I was able to fish a (10ga, triplex) wire from the water heater through the floor beam and up behind the nav station to the switch panel.. The yellow cable in trhe picture.. From there, it could easily be routed through the sink island wall to a fridge unit..
Air Cond Space.JPG

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I don't know anything about the fridge unit that you are looking to install, however my entire unit fit inside the starboard lazarette on top of the plate and glass rack storage cabinet. Worked great there and made it easy for run tubbing to the ice box and didn't lose any storage space inside the cabin. Might be a good alternative spot to mount yours

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
My compressor is installed in the dungeon, suspended under the aft lazarette. Pics show the old unit being taken out in 2015 to replace with NovaKool evaporator/freezer and compressor. Access to wires and pipes from stern cabin, but removal of old unit and installation of new compressor done from starboard locker. Works great, gets air all around, and keeps noise at a minimum (has to be very quiet in cabin to hear it !) . While doing this, do check your insulation and add as needed. The secret to good refrigeration is really in the insulation. My NovaKool thermostat is set at 2 (out of 7), draws barely 3 amps when running, and the evaporator/freezer keeps the meat frozen besides giving ice cubes. Of course doing it this way involves the pretzel factor going into the locker !!!

Attachments

Jan 5, 2018
Since I'm 65" and 130#; I shouldn't have much of an issue 'inspecting' the dungeon. I'll have to check that area out soon! Also, since mine will be "o/s water cooled" I don't have a problem utilizing cabin space for the compressor.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
I installed mine in the aft portion of the starboard cockpit locker and made an aluminum expanded metal cage for it for protection. This area is al but useless for anything needing access anyway. The unit I installed had 12 ft of lines so there was plenty to reach the cooler box. It works awesome.