H34 Muffler

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hey Y'all,
I ran my boat today and I found some drops of water next to the sea cock. So I decided to re-start the boat and inspect while the engine was running. The water lift muffler is clearly leaking. This is potentially dangerous, as it could allow carbon monoxide to leak into the boat. Has anyone replaced the muffler? What kind did you use? How hard is it to get those big stiff hoses clamped in place? Should I call in some professional help for this job?

Thanks,
Ed

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The muffler is (was originally) all fiberglass.. Take it out find the leak and clean the area well and glass it over.. use epoxy resin and a band of thin glass cloth.. should be no problem getting the hoses loose .. you'll probably have to unclamp the hose at the engine to get enough slack to do the other two and remove the muffler..

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hey Kloudie,
Thanks for the post. I wanted to take your advice, but when I removed the muffer the inlet completely fell off of it! I paid a mechanic to replace my exhaust hoses 3 yrs. ago and he may have done some pushups on my muffler. I feel that this would be pretty hard to repair so I decided to replace it. It was built by Marine Muffler Corp. which has been taken over by Centek. I wanted to get an exact replacement so I don't have to tee anything in. If you go on Boatman's I Net marine they will custom build a new muffler to the same specs as my broken unit. Here is the info below:

upload_2018-5-10_9-31-22.png

upload_2018-5-10_9-27-42.png

I will let you know how it turns out after I receive my custom built unit.

Fast Ed

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Prolly a good call.. The volume of the muffler has to safely accommodate the water volume in the hose from the muffler and out the big loop without backing up into the engine.. I see Centek has one but it is only 4" in diameter, too small a volume to work with the long tall hose loop..

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hi Claude,
Thanks for the technical thoughts about mugglers. My general experience is that whenever I deviate from the way it was originally engineered it makes me worse off!

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
I received my new muffler from Inet marine today. The body of the unit is a little shorter than the original, but the inlet and outlet pipes are a little longer so it is a perfect fit. I installed it and ran the engine, so I could check for leaks. It all looks good and I am a satisfied customer!

Jan 5, 2018
Hunter H34 0828 New Orleans
Ed, what did u pay for the muffler, if u don’t mind. Thanks, Shannon