H34 minor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
The drain channel on the stbd side slider has been the culprit on mine- Takes some poking around and flushing with a hose but it hepled. The old starboard list again!

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
rubber bumper replacement

I have received the rubber bumpers, item 9540K25, and am pleased with the match to the existing bumpers. I look forward to a tedious install. :neutral:

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
fresh water system leak

When I was working on the boat last weekend, I energized the water system to test the shower sump. When I did that I heard sputtering and hissing. I have a leak at a gray compression fitting, STBD FWD cabin table hull access. Should I splice a new section of line or replace the whole thing when I redo the fitting? :cry:

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
I've had luck in trimming off a very short piece of the pipe and refitting it into the connection.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Same here, Dan.. I've also noted that the fittings sort of get loose and may start to drool a little after about 2-3 years of use.. so carefully tightening all of the fittings every 3 years is part of my spring checklist.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I found rubber bumpers at McMaster Carr for my '83 H31. They have a large selection. Can find their catalog online

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
trimming water line

It seems I remember the line looking like it is without slack, so maybe a previous owner trimmed a few times. Thanks for your input.:)

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Well, yesterday I got good motor oil in the transmission, easily installed the cockpit seat bumpers, figured out why the water drains to the cabin from the slider, put a bungee along the boom to hold the mnsl folded, decided how to fix the detiorated wood area in the cabin sole, and a couple other miscellaneous items. It was a good day.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
motor oil in the transmission

Well, yesterday I got good motor oil in the transmission, easily installed the cockpit seat bumpers, figured out why the water drains to the cabin from the slider, put a bungee along the boom to hold the mnsl folded, decided how to fix the detiorated wood area in the cabin sole, and a couple other miscellaneous items. It was a good day.
...."motor oil in the transmission"......That doesn't sound right?? And what are cockpit seat bumpers?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
...."motor oil in the transmission"......That doesn't sound right?? And what are cockpit seat bumpers?
Robert, Splax has a Yanmar 3GM30F with a Kanzaki KM3-A tranny. Yanmar recommends 30 weigth motor oil for that tranny. You'll find a discussion on that on the first or second page of this thread. The cockpit seat bumpers are those rubber bushings under the cockpit seat preventing FB to FB contact. On the 34 the seats are on hinges and lift up to reveal lockers. Have a nice day !

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Thanks. Can anyone suggest where I might get a 1 sq ft piece of "teak & holly" ?
Next work day will be the fuel and oil filters in addition to the raw and fresh water pumps.

Jun 25, 2012
Claude L.-Auger said:
Robert, Splax has a Yanmar 3GM30F with a Kanzaki KM3-A tranny. Yanmar recommends 30 weigth motor oil for that tranny. You'll find a discussion on that on the first or second page of this thread. The cockpit seat bumpers are those rubber bushings under the cockpit seat preventing FB to FB contact. On the 34 the seats are on hinges and lift up to reveal lockers. Have a nice day !
Thanks .... I need to check to see if I have the same transmission ........ Incase I ever need to add or change the fluids.
Okay??....... Cockpit seat lids or more correctly .... Cockpit lazzerette hatches .... With rubber contact pads instead of rubber caskets. For some water proofing to help prevent water from splashing up under lazzerette hatch and getting below into locker.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
more clarification

"I need to check to see if I have the same transmission ........ In case I ever need to add or change the fluids.
For some water proofing to help prevent water from splashing up under lazzerette hatch and getting below into locker."
:dance:
For a Hurth transmission I recommend Amsoil ATF. I am considering a motorcycle oil to use in the KM-3 transmission. You should change the fluid every year due to moisture contamination and molecular shear through use reducing the lubrication.
A post earlier suggested weaving a line around the cockpit seat supports that would prevent water intrusion and provide continuous support for the hinged seat. I will post photos later today.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I put some "stick-up" lights above the fuel tank and above the transmission. It's hard to hold lights and work at the same time in tight spaces.

Jun 25, 2012
Thanks. Can anyone suggest where I might get a 1 sq ft piece of "teak & holly" ?
Next work day will be the fuel and oil filters in addition to the raw and fresh water pumps.
Check your local boaters resale shop.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
fuel tank draining

Hello,
How do people drain the fuel tank? I need to get the old nasty fuel oil out of the boat, but I don't want a mess or the boat stinking. When I replace the fuel filter or empty the water separator, what keeps the tank from draining by siphoning?
:troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.