H34 minor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Hello:)
I have some issues with my boat and would like some advice.
_engine fuel filter replacement - how do you loosen the ring?
_vinyl cushions - repair and fabric covering
_solar panel mounting on bimini frame
_engine panel - replace and reinforce
_cockpit instruments - repair or replace Stowe Navigator 2
_I still need a mainsail cover, a bimini, a few winch covers, aft berth cushions. _I still need to clean the teak above deck.
_forward bulkhead needs to be shifted - doors won't shut

I look forward to your help dealing with these issues.:D

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
H-34 Minor Issues

The area port aft in the aft cabin is where the second water tank lives. There is a little space in there but not very much.. This space is the bottom right wood cover in the attached picture.. The area above that is the lazarette.

Cockpit seat bumpers.. I found my replacements at Home depot.. The originals were more like 3/8".. someone may have installed taller ones..

definitely replace the gate valve with a proper seacock (and a proper thru-hull too, most likely). Read MaineSail's posting re thread mismatch between valves and thru-hull fitting.. http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/replacing_thruhulls

Attachments

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Re: H-34 Minor Issues

Sorry, meant space STBD & Aft under cockpit. I will check Home Depot for the rubber bumpers & closed cell foam cushions.

Nov 6, 2006
I think Dan Johnson may have cut through that bulkhead so he could gain access to the fuel tank. He may have some pictures of the opening and what you'd see with that opened up. There is a good deal of space back there.. I use it for storage of the dingy floorboards and on long trips, it becomes a place where the garbage bags go to be out of the way. Some things that may give you heartburn are the cockpit drain, the fuel fill, the fuel vent, and the exhaust hose.. I'd be curious to see what you find..

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Ditto Kloudie Re rubber bumpers and through hull. I agree with him also regarding the space where the 2nd water tank is behind the stern bulkhead. As for the bulkhead to starboard, I did make some changes to gain easier access, but the height of the fuel tank along with the steering column are going to prevent any major changes to enlarge the bed area. And as Kloudie says, the space above the fuel tank can be used for fenders, garbage, etc etc on long trips. The stern bed itself is not bad as far as width, but of course the person inside must not suffer from claustrophobia. I often thought about putting a porthole on the port side, similar to the 37 legend. I think it would also provide more ventilation in the cabin. Far worse than space IMHO, if docked somewhere with the wind coming from the rear, there is some back-slapping which gets to be very annoying. Anchoring avoids that however ! Welcome to the group and good luck with the boat.

Attachments

Last edited:

cjfj

Oct 16, 2010
hunter H34 Mayo, MD
IMHO, depending on the amount of damage the best option for the sole is a complete removal and repalcement :eek: I just got my H34 from a broker down in Mayo and he did this before we bought the boat. The leaks from the hatchway... may just need rebedding. I'll post some links to the pics as soon as they are uploaded and resized

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Nice-work looks like it turned out very nice. But I could not help but notice the tripping hazard in the main cabin. I guess there was no way to fix this hunter design defect. It seems to be only few inches of head room loss. Better then breaking toes or worse.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Hi,
Another issue is that neither the head door or V-berth door will close. I know the interference for the V-berth is about a half inch. What in the world...

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
RE: Minor Issues...

Like Kloudie and Claude A, I got rubber bumpers from the home center store.

Wasn't me that cut open the starboard aft cabin bulkhead.

Like Kloudie, I have planed the v-berth door edge to get it to close, but is not not doing so. Found that the port side bulkhead had been pushed inward about a half inch when hull suffered storm damage last summer. Was able to move it outward about a quarter inch, but there is still a gap at the hull side so intend to use a 2x4 brace piece and hammer to "pursuade" it to move outward that last amount so the door will close--won't do so until boat is back in the water and the hull is restablized after the winter on the hard.

No head door problem.

Splax, if you follow the advice you get from the rest of us on the known issues with this boat, you will enjoy it for some time to come. Good luck!

Oct 14, 2005
CJFJ...

Is that a Beckson access port in you main cabin sole? What does it access? Was there a need for it?

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Instead of using a hammer ....see how you could maybe use an hydraulic jack with scrap lumber and carpet padding to slowly bring it back to alignment. Less radical then hammer and I would hope a more controllable out come.

Oct 14, 2005
Robert...

Thanks for the advice but I don't think the use of hydraulics will be necessary.

I was able to move the bulkhead outward the initial amount by just wedging myself in the door jam space and pushing against the starboard door jam.

The small amount of remaining movement needed can be easily gotten by gentle tapping with a two pound maul at the upper end of the port side's jam where it's still misaligned.

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
I have the same Vbert problem, how does one keep the bulkheads in place ones moved back into position? Did you add fiberglass tabs to secure?

Oct 14, 2005
Mark...

When I first applied shoulder pressure to the portside v-berth door jam, it moved outward a bit. When it did so, a "bung" popped out from up at the top edge, revealing a screw head (screwed into the inner cabin top liner). I thightened up on the screw head to take up the slack.

This is why I think a little more "persuasion" will move it back into place.

With the "fur" covering over the hull insides, I didn't see a place where I would want to add tabbing. I'm going to look for more screw fasteners instead. This seems to have been the Hunter way of fastening things down in that era.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
trying...

Well, I could not find the bumpers and foam cushions at Home Depot. I will get the 3/4 size off this site. I tried pushing on the door frames, but got no movement.http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/images/smilies/advanced/redface.gif I went down to the boat yesterday and plan on changing out the gate valves on through-hulls. I may try a hydraulic jack on the bulkheads after it goes back in the water. I think I will get a hard top bimini when funds allow and mount solar panels on it. I may try some "rock hard water putty" on the spot by the companionway. No sense in spending alot until I get the leak figured out and fixed. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Scott

Sep 24, 1997
Hunter 31_83-87 Middle River, Md
Kloudie,
In an earlier post you said Hunter originally used 3/8" bumpers beneath the cockpit seats. I was getting ready to order 3/8" but you later said you got 7/8". Like SPLAX, I measured 1/2". Do the 7/8" bind along the hinges, and does the seat fit flat on all the bumpers? I'm really:confused:

Nov 6, 2006
Scott.. yep ya right. I probably poked the wrong button on Home Depot.. In the same display (at our store??) area as the ones I posted, I think you'll find the appropriate thickness.. sorry.. also, don't trust the dimensions in their notes on stuff like that.. take a small tape to the store and check 'em out.. The ones I got are definitely not 7/8" but they look a lot like those pictured.. I will be at the boat next week and can get some numbers .. again, sorry for the confusion.
Ace hardware sometimes has a good selection of stuff like that too.. Take an old one with you when ya go hunting. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.